This baked pesto butter salmon is ready in 20 minutes, it is quick and easy, delicious, and packed with flavor! With only 4 ingredients it is an easy weeknight tender and flaky fish dinner the whole family would love. You know basil pesto does make everything better right? let's get right into it as you are about to have another new favorite easy salmon recipe!
Pesto butter salmon recipe
If you have ever wondered if pesto and salmon go together, well wonder no more! This pesto salmon is amazing and will quickly become a new family favorite. I am all about simple recipes that are packed with flavor and this one does not disappoint! You only need fresh salmon, and pesto butter (with salt and pepper), and voila, you have yourself an amazing dinner even your pickiest eater will enjoy!
The key to making this recipe perfect is to use fresh ingredients. I always make my own basil pesto sauce, but you could certainly use store-bought, no judgment here. Make sure you use a quality brand you can vouch for.
One of the reasons I love this recipe is the versatility of the cooking method. You can choose to grill or pan sear the salmon if you prefer, you will get the same amazing result but only the cooking time will be different. The cooking time will also change depending on the thickness of your salmon fillet, so keep that in mind when you are making this recipe.
This salmon with pesto butter recipe is
- Healthy, low carb, and keto-friendly
- So simple that a child could make it
- Packed with so much flavor, and delicious fish dinner for busy weeknights
Salmon fillets: fresh salmon all the way here, salmon is a healthy fish with healthy fat, rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Butter: I love to use slightly salted butter for this recipe, you can use salted or unsalted butter if you prefer. Make sure the butter is softened and at room temperature.
Basil pesto: I recommend homemade basil pesto, it only takes 5 minutes to make but you can use storebought if that is all you have
Salt and pepper to taste, if you are using salted butter for this recipe be sure to adjust the salt to avoid oversalting the dish.
How to make the best baked pesto butter salmon
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F or Gas mark 6 if using a gas oven.
Make the pesto butter: To a mixing bowl, add pesto and softened butter and mix together with a fork until fully combined.
Season the fish: Pat each salmon fillet dry and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the salmon on a non-stick rimmed baking sheet.
Spoon the pesto butter on top of the salmon fillets and distribute it evenly to cover the fish.
Bake: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the pesto salmon for 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish or until it is tender and flakes away easily with a fork. Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for more flavor. Enjoy!
Air fryer pesto butter salmon instructions
Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 5 minutes
Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper then top the fleshy part with salmon butter making sure it is evenly covered.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and then arrange the salmon in the air fryer basket skin side down.
Air fry for 7-8 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 120F/45-50C
Remove the fish from the air fryer basket and serve immediately. Enjoy!
What to serve with pesto salmon
This recipe is so versatile, you can really serve it with any sides you like. But some of my favorites include:
How do you know when salmon is done?
It is important not to overcook salmon, it should be cooked until just tender and flaky using a fork. The best way to test that the salmon is fully booked is using the meat thermometer and cook until it registers an internal temperature of 125F/50C. Apart from the fork method, the salmon will change color when cooked from a translucent pink to an opaque pinkish-white color. Some white residue on cooked salmon is normal and it is called albumin. In fact, this can also be an indication that the fish is cooked (or overcooked) depending on the method of cooking and the temperature cooked.
Can I use a different fish
Of course! This recipe would also work well with trout, tilapia, cod, or halibut. Cooking times will differ depending on the thickness and type of fish used, so do keep this in mind
Can I make this recipe ahead of time
Yes, if you are meal prepping, you can make the pesto butter salmon ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Is this recipe dairy free
No, as my homemade pesto contain parmesan cheese, for a dairy-free version, omit parmesan cheese when making this recipe
Will this recipe work with whole salmon fillet
Yes, you can use a whole salmon fillet for this recipe, just increase the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use any other pesto sauce apart from the basil pesto
Yes, you can use any other pesto sauce for this recipe
More salmon recipes you will love
Pesto Butter Salmon
- 500 g Salmon fillets about 500g
- 50 g butter
- 2 Tablespoons basil pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F or Gas mark 6 if using a gas oven.
- To a small mixing bowl, add pesto sauce, and softened butter, and mix together with a fork until fully combined.
- Pat each salmon fillet dry with a kitchen paper towel, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the salmon on a non-stick rimmed baking sheet skin-side down.
- Spoon the pesto butter on top of the salmon fillets and distribute it evenly to cover the fish.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the pesto salmon for 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish or until it is tender and flakes away easily with a fork. The fish is fully cooked when the internal temperature of the thickest part reaches 125F/50C Serve immediately with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for more flavor. Enjoy!
Air fryer pesto butter salmon instructions
- Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 5 minutes
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper then top the fleshy part with salmon butter making sure it is evenly covered.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and then arrange the salmon in the air fryer basket skin-side down.
- Air fry for 7-8 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 125F/50C
- Remove the fish from the air fryer basket and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
If you made this easy baked salmon recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox