Learn how to cook sausages in the oven with this easy step-by-step guide. We'll show you how to bake sausages in the oven, plus offer tips on the best way to cook them so it comes out juicy and delicious at all times. It's easier, mess-free, and better than cooking it over the stove.
Oven baked sausages
Have you ever wondered how to cook sausages in the oven, then today's article is for you. Sausage is a versatile ingredient. It can be used in a number of dishes, from pasta sauces to pies. And, it can be cooked in different ways too, grilled, fried, or baked.
If you're looking for an easy and effortless way to cook sausages, then baking them in the oven is the way to go. This cooking method is ideal if you're feeding a large group of people, as it's a hassle-free way to cook multiple sausages at once. Plus, there's very little clean-up involved.
Cooking sausages is easy and while it is not as quick as the air fryer, it is still a relatively simple process. Let's take a look at how to cook sausages in the oven, for your enjoyment at any time of the week.
This method would work for any type of sausages (pork, beef, or chicken) you have, breakfast sausage patties, link sausage, brats, etc. The cook time will depend on the size and thickness of your sausages.
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment paper or aluminum foil or silicon mat
- Kitchen tong
- Kitchen scissors
Fresh sausages: You can use any type of fresh sausage you prefer, Italian sausage, bratwurst, chicken sausages, etc.
How to cook sausages in the oven
The first step is to preheat your oven to 200C/400F (180C/365F for a fan oven or Gas 6 for a gas oven).
Next, you will need to line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. This will help to prevent the sausages from sticking to the pan and making them difficult to remove. That said, if you are using a non-stick baking tray then you may not need foil or parchment paper.
Once the baking sheet is lined, arrange the sausages on the sheet in a single layer (If the sausages are linked, cut the links with a pair of scissors to separate them). Make sure they are not touching each other, as this will prevent them from cooking evenly.
Place the baking sheet in the middle shelf of a preheated oven and bake the sausages for 30 to 35 minutes turning halfway through the cooking time for even cooking. At this point, the sausages will be slightly crispy on the outside and fully cooked on the inside. You will know the sausages are thoroughly cooked when the internal temperature when checked with a meat thermometer reads 73C/165F.
Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from the oven, transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil then serve immediately for the best result however you desired.
Here are a few tips to help you get the perfect oven-baked sausages every time:
- Be sure to preheat your oven before cooking the sausages. This will help to ensure that they cook evenly throughout.
- Make sure the sausages are not overlapping when you are baking them so that they cook evenly.
- If the sausages are linked, use kitchen scissors to cut the links and separate them before cooking.
- If in doubt, check the internal temperature of the sausages with a meat thermometer to ensure they are thoroughly cooked. It is important that your sausages are fully cooked with no pink meat in sight before consuming them.
What to serve with sausages
Here are a few serving suggestions to enjoy your oven-baked sausages:
- Sausages are often served with mashed potatoes, peas, and gravy. This classic combination is sure to be a hit with the whole family. That said, your full English breakfast is not complete without some sort of sausages on your plate.
- If you're looking for a light meal, try serving sausages with a salad. This is a great option if you're watching your weight
How to store
Leftover sausages can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days
How long to bake sausages in the oven
The cook time will depend on the size and thickness of your sausages. For average-sized sausages, bake them in a preheated oven at 200C/400F for 25 to 35 minutes until thoroughly cooked turning them halfway through the cooking time.
What color should sausage be when cooked
The final color of cooked sausage will be determined by the type of meat used and the ingredient added. Some sausage meat like chipotle flavor will not be pink like the plain or Cumberland counterpart. The best way to know when sausages are fully cooked is by using a meat thermometer. Also, the juice from the sausage should run clear when you poke it with a fork. They should be slightly crispy on the outside and have an internal temperature of 73C/165F.
Can I cook sausages from frozen
You can cook sausages from frozen, but they will need to cook for longer than specified in this recipe. Here is an article that teaches you how to cook frozen sausages in the oven and air fryer.
Do I need to pierce the skin of the sausages before cooking it
No, you don't need to pierce the skin of the sausages before cooking them. Piercing the sausages will result in dried meat since the fat that is supposed to keep the meat moist will be lost.
Can I bake sausages ahead of time
Yes, you can cook the sausages ahead of time and reheat them when you are ready to eat. Reheat the sausages in a preheated oven at 180C/365F for 10 minutes or until they are heated through. Note that the texture may not be the same as when it was first cooked.
Can I freeze baked sausages
Yes, you can freeze the baked sausages for up to 3 months. Let the sausages cool completely before freezing them in an airtight container. When you are ready to eat, defrost the sausages overnight in the fridge and reheat them in a preheated oven at 200C/400F for 10 minutes or until they are heated through.
More how-to tutorials you will love
If you love this how-to recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
How To Cook Sausages In The Oven
- 667 g Fresh sausage (10 sausages) You can use any type of fresh sausage you prefer
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F (180C/365F for a fan oven or Gas 6 for a gas oven) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. optional if you are using a non-stick baking tray.
- Arrange the sausages on the sheet in a single layer (If the sausages are linked, cut the links with a pair of scissors to separate them). Make sure they are not touching each other, as this will prevent them from cooking evenly.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle shelf of a preheated oven and bake the sausages for 30 to 35 minutes or until thoroughly cooked turning halfway through the cooking time. You will know the sausages are thoroughly cooked when the internal temperature when checked with a meat thermometer reads 73C/165F.
- Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from the oven, transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil then serve immediately for the best result however you desired.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.