Looking for an easy takeaway recipe for you and your family? This Chinese salt and pepper chicken would give your usual takeaway a run for its money. Chicken breast pieces seasoned and fried in mixed chillies and onions.
This is one of the easiest takeaway recipes you can whip up in minutes well apart from salt and pepper chips and chicken wings, honey sriracha wings. and this delicious shrimp stir fry.
This salt and pepper chicken recipe is quick, easy and perfect for dinner or parties.
Chinese Salt and pepper chicken is my go-to fakeaway recipes I make for when I am in the mood to treat my family on a Friday night without them missing their favourite takeaways.
I love this to serve it with my special vegetable fried rice, vegetable chow mien or my instant pot basmati rice and also in a wrap. Thanks to my daughter, she came up with this idea and it is one of the ways we serve this recipe now.
Why This Salt And Pepper Chicken Recipe Works
- It is simple and quick to make. It requires a few steps and you can even get your children to join in just like I did.
- Restaurant quality dish served from your kitchen and you have control over what goes into it.
- Salt and pepper chicken recipe calls for simple ingredients that are kitchen staples. You would be surprised how natural spices bring out the flavour of the chicken and the sautéed onions and peppers elevated the whole dish.
- No MSG was hurt while making this salt and pepper chicken.
- It is perfect for a weeknight dinner, date night or even valentines
Chicken breast pieces: substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken wings
Chinese 5 spice seasoning
Ground black pepper
Fresh garlic cloves
Salt to taste
How To Make Chinese Salt And Pepper Chicken
Mix the salt, black pepper, Chinese five-spice in a small bowl and set aside.
Chop the onions, garlic, chillies and spring onions
Add the chicken breast to a bowl, add the mixed spices and mix to combine.
Toss the cornflour to the chicken pieces and ensure they are well coated.
Place a pan/ skillet on a medium-high heat and fry until cooked flipping it once or twice so they are well cooked. Work in batches if need be, to be sure that the chicken pieces are cooked through. Pick the biggest pieces and cut into two, it should be white and firm to touch.
Remove it from the heat and place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
Place a wok on high heat, add vegetable oil and heat until hot, add chopped onions and chopped chillies, spring onions and stir fry for about a minute then add a pinch of salt and continue to stir fry until the onions and peppers are soft and onion translucent.
Add the fried chicken pieces and mix to combine. Take it off the heat and serve immediately.
Tips for Making Easy Salt And Pepper Chicken Recipes
- Use fresh ingredients
- If time is not of the essence, marinade the chicken for some few hours before frying
- Use any other flavourless oil of choice
- Fry the chicken in a deep fryer if that is what you have and if you are not sure about how hot the oil should be, use a cooking thermometer and fry the chicken at 180C/380F
- Bake the chicken pieces for a healthier option. This is good if you are on any diet plan, weight watchers, slimming world and the likes
- This recipe can be doubled to accommodate the numbers of people you are catering for.
- Variations: use chicken wings instead of chicken breast pieces but note that it would cook longer than the chicken breast.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
If you made this Chinese salt and pepper chicken recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken Recipe
- 600 g chicken breast pieces: substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken wings
- ½ tablespoon Chinese five-spice
- ¼ cup cornflour
- Vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 60 g mixed chillies chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 Spring onions sliced
- Salt to taste
- How To Make Salt And Pepper Chicken
- Mix the salt, black pepper, Chinese five-spice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the chicken breast to a bowl, add the mixed spices and mix to combine.
- Toss the cornflour to the chicken pieces and ensure they are well coated.
- Place a pan/ skillet on a medium-high heat and fry until cooked flipping it once or twice so they are well cooked. Work in batches if need be, to be sure that the chicken pieces are cooked through. Pick the biggest pieces and cut into two, it should be white and firm to touch.
- Remove it from the heat and place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Place a wok on high heat, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat until hot, add chopped onions and chopped chillies, spring onions and stir fry for about a minute then add a pinch of salt and continue to stir fry until the onions and peppers are soft and onion translucent.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and mix to combine. Take it off the heat and serve immediately.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!
This was by far the best chicken recipe!
Thank you Sheena, I am so glad you loved the chicken recipe.
Mrs Danielle Charnock says
Hi, is there any veg you could add to this. Mushrooms peppers etc.
Hi, yes, you can add veggies like mixed bell peppers, beansprouts, thinly sliced cabbage, carrots e.t.c to salt and pepper chicken.
Kindly let me know how you get on with the recipe. Thank you
Sounds good and I was thinking fresh green beans. Or snow peas?
Thank you Amy, I am glad you enjoyed it.