As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Let me show you how to make the best perfectly steamed, crisp-tender and delicious Instant pot asparagus at all times. This pressure cooker asparagus is a perfect side for many dishes and super quick to make too.
I love steaming vegetables in my instant pot, I must confess, I have had one or two mushy experiences but after several testing, this girl can now say she is a pro at cooking vegetables in a pressure cooker. It is super quick and doesn’t require much cooking time, my best tip after several testing is to use cold tap water (a bit above room temperature). You are guaranteed perfect vegetables at all times.
Instant pot asparagus recipe
This spring vegetable is versatile and can be cooked on the stovetop, in the oven or pressure cooker. It a very simple vegetable and it doesn’t require much to bring it to life. You only need a few pantry staple ingredients and if you would like to make it fancy, finish it with a squeeze of lemon, melted butter, olive oil or parmesan cheese. If time is not of an essence, I like to serve it with some homemade parsley sauce.
Cooking this vegetable is an instant pot is very similar to cooking it on the stove top. I would say it takes about the same time to cook considering the time the instant pot would come to pressure. Steaming asparagus in an instant pot guarantees a fresh and delicious tasting vegetable. Asparagus I healthy, packed with nutrients, antioxidants and low in calorie. A cup of the vegetable is about 27calories and it low in fat and high in fibre.
What you need
A detailed list of ingredients used is in the recipe card at the bottom of the page!
Asparagus (use thick spear asparagus)
Lemon juice and lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
How to make instant pot asparagus
Wash the asparagus and trim off the tough end (use a knife or snap with your hands)
Add water to your instant pot, add a cup of cold water then place the trivet or the steamer basket in the pot
Carefully arrange the washed asparagus on the trivet.
Lock the instant pot and turn the valve to the seal position. Select the manual or pressure cook and cook on MEDIUM pressure for ZERO MINUTES (asparagus is crisp-tender and not soggy when you use medium settings, if you would like it softer, select the high pressure, I have tested both ways and prefer the medium pressure one)
Once the cooking cycle is completed, carefully do a quick release.
Using a thong, carefully transfer the asparagus from the trivet to a plate. Add salt, squeeze of lemon or melted butter, serve and enjoy.
How to serve asparagus
- This delicious spring vegetable is versatile and can be served in many ways. I will share a few with you
- Pair with this honey garlic salmon
- Dice it along with other vegetables to make this instant pot frittata
- Instead of olive oil, serve this vegetable with parsley sauce or some freshly grated parmesan
- Add it to risotto
- Swap the broccoli in this pasta recipe for some diced asparagus.
- Sautee it with some peppers and onions
- Serve with instant pot garlic lemon chicken legs
- Lastly, asparagus and egg are food marriage in heaven. Serve this vegetable with some poached eggs for breakfast or brunch.
How to store
Cooked asparagus can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Use thick spear asparagus to avoid overcooking the vegetable
Add cold water to cook the vegetable.
Other instant pot steamed vegetable on the blog
If you made this zero minutes instant pot asparagus recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Instant Pot Asparagus (Steamed Broccoli)
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb Asparagus 500g use thick spear asparagus
- 1 cup cold tap water
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice and lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the asparagus and trim off the tough end (use a knife or snap with your hands)
- Add water to your instant pot, add a cup of cold water then place the trivet or the steamer basket in the pot
- Carefully arrange the washed asparagus on the trivet, criss crossing them if need be.
- Lock the instant pot and turn the valve to the seal position. Select the manual or pressure cook and cook on MEDIUM pressure for ZERO MINUTES (asparagus is crisp-tender and not soggy when you use medium settings, if you would like it softer, select the high pressure, I have tested both ways and prefer the medium pressure one)
- Once the cooking cycle is completed, carefully do a quick release.
- Using a thong, carefully transfer the asparagus from the trivet to a plate. Add salt, squeeze of lemon or melted butter, serve and enjoy.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!