This baked cod with tomatoes is easy, and foolproof and it's all done in a baking dish in 30 minutes. Cod loin seasoned with homemade fish seasoning then baked on a bed of fresh tomatoes, garlic and shallots then baked until perfectly tender and juicy.
This is a quick and healthy dinner, delicious restaurant-quality meal served in the comfort of your home.
Baked cod with tomatoes recipe
Baked codfish is a good and healthy dinner option when you are after a low-carb meal, this recipe is naturally gluten-free and packed full of nutrients.
Cod is a popular type of white fish (Atlantic cod or pacific cod), it mild flavor, fleshy, and highly nutritious. It is a good source of omega 3 acid, vitamin A and many more. This fish is budget-friendly and can be easily included in your weekly servings of fish.
While my go-to fish are cod and salmon, you can use any other type of white fish for this recipe but make sure to adjust the timing to suit. I.e., Let the size and thickness of the fish guide on how long to cook it. This recipe is about to be a popular weeknight staple at yours…
Why this recipe work
- Affordable, it doesn’t have to the catch of the day, a good one from the seafood section of your supermarket should be simply fine.
- Simple, Minimal prep, yet delicious
- Ready in 30 minutes
- No fancy kitchen gadget is needed to make this restaurant-quality dish, all you need is a baking dish or tray, oven, and your love.
Baked cod Ingredients
Cod loin: substitute with cod fillets.
Homemade fish seasoning substitute with any seasoning of choice
Mixed baby tomatoes: substitute with cherry tomatoes or baby plum tomatoes
Salt and black pepper
How to make baked cod with tomatoes
Preheat the oven at 200C/400F
Pat the fish dry with a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture and season with salt and black pepper. Cover with a clingfilm set aside or place in the fridge if you would not be baking immediately.
Add cherry tomatoes, chopped shallot, crushed garlic, olive oil, salt, and black pepper to a baking dish and mix together with your hand. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake AT 200C/400F for 10 minutes.
Remove the baking dish from the oven, move the veggies around to create space for the fish. Season the cod on both sides with the fish seasoning then carefully place into the baking dish, add butter cubes and capers. Return into the oven and bake for an additional 12 to 15 minutes or until the fish is baked to your liking. Remove from the oven and spoon the pan juice over the cod if desired.
Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the fish and serve immediately with the tomatoes and pan juice as desired
What does cod pair well with
You can serve this tender and juicy baked fish with the following
Boiled spaghetti or pasta
Stir in this pesto sauce into the tomatoes before baking in the oven
In the fridge, make sure the fish cooks completely, transfer into an airtight container, and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: you can freeze the fish on its own without the tomatoes for up to 1 month. Frozen tomatoes will turn mushy if thawed and the texture changes too, that said you can freeze all together if you do not mind.
To reheat: simply reheat in the microwave for a few minutes or until warmed through to your liking.
What temperature is baked cod done?
Here are a few ways to know when your codfish is cooked. The fish would flake easily with a fork with no resistance, it will be opaque and the internal temperature would register 145F on an instant-read thermometer.
Why is my baked cod tough?
The simple answer is that the fish is probably overcooked. Fish cooks faster than meat regardless of how you choose to cook it. Always pay attention when cooking fish so as not to let it dry out. Chewy fish is not fun to eat.
What are the best vegetables to serve with fish?
Serve your baked fish with any of the following vegetables and salad.
- Cucumber salad or Coleslaw
- Instant pot asparagus
- Air fryer marinated vegetable medley
- Air fryer carrots or broccoli
Watch how to make it
More seafood recipes
Parmesan-crusted salmon: this is a delicious breaded salmon recipe you will love.
Easy coconut salmon curry
Baked Cod with Tomatoes
- 4 Cod loin (140g each) substitute with cod fillets.
- 1 tbsp Homemade fish seasoning
- 2 cups mixed baby tomatoes washed and dried you can cut the tomatoes into halves if desired.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 banana shallots chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pat the fish dry with a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture and season with salt and black pepper. Cover with a clingfilm then set aside or place in the fridge if you would not be baking immediately.
- Add cherry tomatoes, chopped shallot, crushed garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper to a baking dish and mix together with your hand. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake at 200C/400F for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, move the veggies around in the to create space for the fish. Season the cod on both sides with the fish seasoning then carefully place into the baking dish, add butter cubes and capers. Return into the oven and bake for an additional 12 to 15 minutes or until the fish is baked through to your liking. Remove from the oven and spoon the pan juice over the cod if desired.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the fish and serve immediately with the tomatoes and pan juice as desired
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.