Are you looking for the best fish seasoning you can make at home from scratch that will boost the flavor of your fish or seafood? Then, you will like this homemade fish seasoning recipe, it is quick, easy, ready in 5 minutes, and stores for a long time. Let me show you how to make it in simple steps.
Homemade fish seasoning recipe
Let me make you a promise that this fish dry rub is about to be one of the best things that can happen to your seafood. Each spice and herb used have been carefully selected to give an instant boost of flavour for your white fish and seafood generally.
Dillweed, parsley, garlic, celery, paprika, ginger are great herbs and spices that go well with fish. The seasoning blend is flavourful, yet subtle that it doesn’t overpower the fresh flavor or the delicateness of the fish.
You can use this homemade fish seasoning on white fish like cod, haddock, catfish fillet, and many more, that being said, it can be used on salmon, shrimps, or any other type of shell seafood.
The choice of spices used in this recipe mimics the flavors of old bay seasoning a little, you will be happy making this at home from scratch and a little go a long way on your fish. Delicious and flavourful fish guaranteed at all times.
Without sounding cliché, making your own spice blend at home is great as you would have control over what goes into it. Not only that, it is simple, easy, and comes together in like 5 minutes too. More importantly, it is unique to you and you do not have to worry about hidden MSG, excess salt, or preservatives.
You can use this spice rub on all types of fish, boned or filleted whether it is grilled, stewed, baked, or fried.
What ingredients are in this spice blend
Here are what you will need to make yours
How to make fish seasoning from scratch in simple step
Tips before starting: Gather all the ingredients you need to make this easier and quicker. Ensure the container you will be storing the fish powder in dry.
To a medium mixing bowl, add smoked paprika, celery salt, dried parsley, dried dillweed, onion powder, garlic granules, garlic granules then stir together to combine.
Transfer the spice blend into an airtight container and store it in a place that is away from direct sunlight.
How to use fish dry rub
This spice blend can be used directly on your fish or shellfish after you have seasoned it with salt and black pepper. Alternatively, drizzle or rub some oil of choice of the fish, add the seasoning mix and use as a marinade or cook immediately.
Use this seasoning on your baked cod, it is so delicious.
If stored properly, i.e, away from direct sunlight and not overly exposed to air, it should last for up to 6 months or longer if you made a large batch.
Additional tips for making the best fish seasoning
- Use sweet paprika instead of smoked paprika
- For spicy fish seasoning, add cayenne pepper or black pepper to seasoning mix
- To elongate the longevity and freshness of the spice blend, do not pour it directly over hot or steamy food. Always measure out the quantity you need on a spoon or mixing bowl before adding to a hot dish.
- Do not fret if the spice blend clumps together over some period of time, simply give it a good shake to wake it up and use in your dishes as desired.
- Don’t wait until you need this seasoning before you make some. Make it ahead in small or large batches so that you never have to run out especially on days when time is not of the essence.
- Make sure all the spices and herbs used in making the spice blend are still in date. The one with the nearest date will determine how long to store the seasoning.
What to serve with fish
To make fish dinner a complete meal, here are a few of my favorites recipes ideas that complement the flavor and go well with fish.
Pasta: I love pasta with fish especially simple pasta recipes such as this creamy garlic bacon pasta
Potatoes: it will have to this homemade parmentier potatoes for me and if you own an air fryer then you will my air fryer dice potatoes recipe. Fish pairs well with oven chips and buttery boiled potatoes with parsley.
More homemade seasoning recipe
Fish Seasoning Recipe
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- ½ tablespoon ginger powder
- ½ tablespoon onion granules
- ½ tablespoon garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- Tips before starting: Gather all the ingredients you need to make this easier and quicker. Ensure the container you will be storing the fish powder in dry.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add smoked paprika, celery salt, dried parsley. Dried dillweed, onion powder, garlic granules, garlic granules then stir together to combine.
- Transfer the spice blend into an airtight container and store in a place that is away from direct sunlight.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.