This air fryer shrimp recipe will be on repeat as a favorite in your household. Easy 8 minutes dinner the whole family would love. The perfectly air fried shrimp is Juicy, tender, buttery, and delicious. A perfect low-carb option for a quick weeknight meal.
Shrimp in air fryer recipe
Who doesn’t love a quick dinner that is healthy and doesn’t compromise on flavor? This shrimp cooked in the air fryer tick all the boxes for that. The partially frozen shrimps were tossed in salt and black pepper, garlic, and a little oil and then cooked in the air fryer until plump and succulent.
For this recipe, I used partially frozen shrimps, I say partially frozen as I rinsed out the ice on the shrimps in order to remove the shell, clean and devein. The beauty of cooking this seafood in the air fryer is that it can be cooked directly from frozen, thawed or fresh.
It takes approximately the same time to cook partially frozen shrimps and fresh shrimps in the air fryer, while frozen ones might take an extra 1 to 2 minutes depending on the end result you hoped to achieve. Crispy, plum, and succulent!
What set this recipe apart
The shrimps are cooked in a baking dish. This way, the seasoning is not lost in the air fryer basket. I found this method to be the best way of cooking this seafood and since it uses butter, it would be pointless for the butter to drain into the air fryer basket without enhancing the flavors of the shrimp.
You can cook the shrimps without butter and oven proof dish but I personally use the baking dish method to save me the extra steps of tossing the shrimps in whatever flavour I want after it is cooked.
There is no need to buy a separate air fryer accessory for this, any oven-proof dish that fits into your air fryer basket would work perfectly. That said, you can also cook the shrimp directly in the air fryer basket using just oil and seasoning instead of butter.
Ingredients you will need
Shrimps: frozen, thawed or raw
Fresh garlic: substitute with garlic powder if desired
Salt and pepper
Oil: the amount used is insignificant and you can do without it but I like to spray some oil on the shrimp for a good measure.
Lemon and parsley to garnish.
How to cook shrimps in the air fryer
Clean the shrimps: devein and deshell if desired.
Transfer the shrimps to an oven safe dish that would fit into your air fryer basket
Season with salt, black pepper, spray with a little cooking oil and stir to combine.
Add butter cubes to the shrimps then place the dish in the air fryer basket.
Cook for 8 to 10 minutes on 200C/400F. There is no need to flip the shrimp halfway through but I do this for a good measure and also to incorporate the butter into the dish.
Remove from the air fryer, add some chopped parsley and squeeze some lemon juice on the shrimps if desired. Stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!
How to store
Any leftover shrimps can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Make sure that it cools completely before storing.
To reheat: if using with salad then let the shrimps come to a room temperature and serve. If using hot, then warm in the air fryer at 180C/360F for 1 to 2 minutes.
How long to cook shrimp in air fryer
Depending on the size of the shrimps or prawns, use the below as a guideline.
King prawns or shrimps, shell off – 8 to 10 minutes depending on the size. Add extra 1 to 2 minutes if cooking with sell on.
Frozen breaded shrimps (jumbo size) – 8 to 10 minutes
Smaller sized shrimps or prawns – 5 minutes
How to thaw shrimps fast
When time is of the essence, the fastest way to thaw shrimp fast is by running it under warm water until the ice is melted.
Transfer the shrimps to a bowl and submerge with cold water, depending on the size of the shrimp. Soak in water for 5 minutes for small to medium or 10 minutes if working with big sizes. Decant the water and dry the shrimp on a paper towel and use as desired.
- Season the shrimp as you see fit. Old bay seasoning works well with seafood but you can also use these homemade peri peri seasoning or taco seasoning.
- This recipe can be served as an appetizer too.
- If you have a small air fryer then adjust then you have to cook the shrimps in batches.
More seafood recipes
More air fryer recipes
How to cook chicken breast in the air fryer
Perfect air fryer steaks
How to cook frozen potatoes in the air fryer
Watch how to make it
If you made this super easy air fryer seafood recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe (Fresh or Frozen)
- Air Fryer
- 1 lb shrimps: frozen, thawed or fresh
- 1 large fresh garlic clove minced substitute with garlic powder if desired
- 30 g unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil spay the amount used is insignificant and you can do without it but I like to spray some oil on the shrimp for a good measure.
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped to garnish.
- Clean the shrimps: devein and deshell if desired. Transfer the shrimps to an oven safe dish that would fit into your air fryer basket
- Season with salt, pepper shrimps, spray with a little cooking oil and stir to combine. Add butter cubes to the shrimps then place the dish in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes on 200C/400F. There is no need to flip the shrimp hallway through but I do this for a good measure.
- Remove from the air fryer, add some chopped parsley and squeeze some lemon juice on the shrimps if desired. Stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.