As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This Homemade Peri Peri seasoning is quick and easy to make, it is ready under 5 minutes. This is a perfect spice blend that is worthy of your pantry. Your chicken, Salad and steak are about to be lit!
Let me show you how to make it in easy steps.
Homemade Peri Peri Seasoning
Put your DIY cap on and make your own Peri Peri or Piri Piri seasoning from scratch. Not only is the homemade version easy and quick to make, it is also healthy as it doesn’t contain any preservatives.
Here in the UK, we love everything Peri Peri, thanks to Nandos. In fact, most supermarkets now stock their own version of the dry rub including Nando’s brand but nothing beats the one you make at home from scratch yourself.
By the way, Piri Piri is also called Peri-Peri. You may already know one of these names, so let’s get mixing.
Why you should make your own
- It is quick, simple and super easy.
- This is an affordable recipe, the ingredients are what you likely have in your pantry already.
- No preservatives are used in making this Peri Peri seasoning. Nothing on the ingredient list that you can’t pronounce.
- This spice blend makes every protein you use it on better. It is great with chicken, beef and can even be used to spice your rice. No Nandos chicken without Nandos spicy rice.
- You can customise and adjust the seasoning to taste and to your level of spiciness too.
To make your homemade Peri Peri seasoning you will need these ingredients
While these lists might seem exhaustive, you can easily change things around to suit your taste. This is my version of the popular seasoning, so it is not straight from a Portuguese spice trader but it’s definitely delicious.
Cayenne pepper: the authentic or should I say traditional recipe uses piri piri pepper or bird eye chilli but in the absence of these ingredients, I use Nigerian cayenne pepper.
Ground green cardamom
How to make Peri Peri seasoning
Add all the spice ingredients to a small bowl and mix to combine. Transfer into a dry spice jar or airtight container. 2 tablespoons or 25g is equivalent to 1 storebought Piri Piri seasoning pack.
Store in an airtight jar away from direct sunlight for up to 6 months.
How to use
This Homemade seasoning would give your protein and instant flavour boost. No need for endless marinating.
Number one culprit is chicken. I am well known for my spatchcocked peri peri chicken.
It can also be used on beef, fish, potato salad or potato seasoning.
If you love making your own homemade pizza then use this seasoning in the tomato sauce for simple cheese and tomato peri peri seasoning. It can also be added to popcorn and couscous.
Fancy a bit of DIY? Then these homemade spices recipes are yours
Homemade Peri Peri Seasoning
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Cayenne pepper or use according to taste
- 1 tsp coriander leave
- 1 tsp Sugar this is optional
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground green cardamom
- Add all the spice ingredients to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Transfer into a dry spice jar or airtight container. 2 tablespoons or 25g is equivalent to 1 storebought peri peri seasoning pack. Store in an airtight jar away from direct sunlight for up to 6 months.
If you made this simple homemade seasoning recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox