Instant pot coconut rice recipe! A quick and easy rice recipe cooked in an electric pressure cooker. This instant pot rice recipe only calls for 4 ingredients and it is ready under 15 minutes, coconut rice is great for meal prep and a quick weeknight dinner. A great accompaniment with curries, stir-fries or stews. Let me show you how to make this easy coconut rice that is fluffy and with separate grains. Serve with this instant pot black eyed peas
Why This Instant Pot Coconut Rice Recipe Works
- You should know that this recipe can be made on the stove top as well as in a rice cooker. Thanks to technology, you can’t argue to how convenient and easy this rice come together in an instant pot (electric pressure cooker) Perfect rice all the time.
- I love the flavour from the coconut, it is subtle yet delicious.
- It is naturally gluten-free and you can use any rice of choice. For this recipe, I used golden Sella basmati rice but you may also use long-grain white rice Jasmine rice or brown rice.
- It is a perfect side dish and you can pair it with anything, curries, stir-fries, stews and sauces.
- This recipe only requires a handful of ingredients and that includes water.
- You can use pot in pot (PIP) to make this rice in your instant pot and of course, one of the easiest dishes you can make in your instant pot (electric pressure cooker) is rice.
Ingredients To Make Easy This Instant Pot Rice
Basmati rice: substitute with Jasmine rice or long grain rice. They cook the same just like the golden Sella basmati rice I used.
Unsweetened coconut milk: note that coconut milk is different from coconut water. Swap full-fat coconut milk for low fat.
Water: For this recipe, I used a water ratio of 1.5 cups to 1 cup of rice (basmati rice, Jasmine and long grain rice.)
Onions: I used shallot for its mellow flavour. When I make coconut rice, I try as much as possible not to overpower the coconut aroma with other flavours. You can’t miss the coconutty flavour when done this way. If you would be using onions, use white onions and a little goes a long way.
Olive oil, substitute with coconut oil or any other oil of choice
Some other recipes call for sugar but trust me you do not need it in this recipe. Coconut rice is sweet enough.
How To Make Instant Pot Coconut Rice
First, you need to rinse the rice in warm water until water runs clear.
Then Sauté the chopped onions in olive oil until soft, stir continuously so it doesn’t burn. Use the sauté button (normal) on your instant pot for this or browning function if using pressure king pro. Add the washed rice and stir in the sautéed onions and stir continuously for another 30 seconds.
Turn off the sauté button then cover the rice with coconut milk and water, add salt then mix to combine. Ensure the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pan before covering.
Cover the instant pot with its lid and turn the valve to the sealed position. Set the timer and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Once it is finished cooking and it’s timed down, let the pressure naturally release for another 5 minutes then do a quick release.
Open the lid then fluff the rice with a fork. Serve with any other side of choice.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Coconut Rice
Vegetable stir fry
Open your canned coconut milk from the bottom especially if you are using full fat coconut milk. By so doing, you’ll be able to get the right amount without any mess. The cream settles at the top of the can and the water in the bottom. I find it less fiddly doing it this way.
Use half and half water and coconut milk, this way you are guaranteed less sticky and separate grains of rice
Rinse the rice until the water runs clean, again, no stick rice and less starch.
Other Pressure Cooker Rice Recipes You’ll Love
Check Out These Pressure Cooker Recipe You Might Love
If you made this instant pot rice recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot
- 2 cups raw basmati rice Jasmine rice and long grain rice works too
- 1 can Unsweetened full fat coconut milk about 1½ cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups water
- 1 small shallot chopped about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil substitute with coconut oil or any other oil of choice
- ½ tablespoon sugar optional not used for this recipe
- Rinse the rice in warm water until water runs clear.
- Using the sauté button (normal) on your instant pot or browning function if using pressure king pro. Then Sauté the chopped onions in olive oil until soft, stir continuously so it doesn’t burn. Add the washed rice to the pot and stir continuously for another 30 seconds.
- Turn off the sauté button then cover the rice with coconut milk and water (3 cups in total), add salt then mix to combine. Ensure the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pan before covering.
- Cover the instant pot with its lid and turn the valve to the sealed position. Set the timer and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Once it is finished cooking and it's timed down, let it natural pressure release for 5 minutes then do a quick release.
- Open the lid then fluff the rice with a fork. Serve and enjoy.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!