This Sauteed peppers and onions is deliciously easy and simple to make. A perfect side dish that can be served with almost everything and anything like this homemade garlic bread. Sweet bell peppers and onion sautéed in olive oil, herbs and red wine vinegar until tender and caramelised.
Classic Italian Peperonata recipe without the tomatoes. It is flavourful and tender. Let me show you how to make sautéed peppers and onions in easy steps.
Why This Sauteed Peppers And Onions (Peperonata) Recipe Works
- It super affordable, well for us in the UK as I heard bell peppers are expensive in the US. That being said, you can stock up on them when they are in season.
- This recipe is gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian. It is healthy and packed with great nutritional values like vitamin A and C.
- A great replacement when you don’t fancy green veggies on your plate. In my home, my children don’t say no to steamed broccoli, but they don’t feel the same way about peas.
- Sautéed peppers and onions is quick and super easy. It takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish to have it on your dinner table. Unlike peperonata that you have to simmer over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes for infused flavour until soft.
- This side dish is versatile and can be served with just about everything. My number one choice is to serve it over some freshly made basmati rice or in wraps. A perfect quick weeknight dinner.
- It is perfect for meal prepping
A detailed list of ingredients used is in the recipe card at the bottom of the page!
Sweet bell peppers: I used a combination of 2 red bell peppers, 1 green and 2 orange sweet bell peppers, beautiful rainbow colour.
Onion: I used white onions but you can substitute with red onions.
Olive oil: substitute with vegetable oil, avocado oil or any other flavourless oil of choice
Red pepper flakes
Garlic granules: substitute with fresh garlic cloves
Red wine vinegar: substitute with rice wine or balsamic vinegar
Chicken bouillon powder, this is completely optional but recommended if you have it and you only need a little. Swap chicken bouillon for vegetable bouillon powder to make it vegan or vegetarian.
How To Make Sauteed Peppers And Onions
Prepare the bell peppers and onions: remove the stem of the peppers and slice them into strips about 5mm thick them the onions thinly or depending on choice.
Place a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and heat until hot. Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the hot oil and stir together to combine, cook for about 5 minutes.
Add chilli powder, thyme, salt, bouillon powder and red pepper flakes, mix to combine and the vinegar. You only need about 1 tablespoon.
Continue cooking on medium-low heat for another 5 minutes until the peppers are tender and caramelised stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
Take it off the heat and serve as desired.
How To Serve Sautéed Peppers And Onions (Pepperonata)?
These are my go-to choices, Serve over rice, meat taco bowls, over crusty bread and I also serve it with tortilla egg wraps for breakfast. Your choices are endless, you could also serve with sausages, burgers steaks or fish.
How to store
Sautéed peppers and onions would keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- You would get the best out of this simple recipe if you use fresh ingredients
- Adjust the heat level of this recipe to suit your taste
- Use any preferred herbs or spices of choice.
- Use less of green bell peppers as it can be bitter, use more of red, yellow or orange peppers as they are sweeter.
Other Recipes You Would Love
If you made this sauteed peppers and onions recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Sauteed Pepper and Onions (Peperonata Recipe)
- large Skillet
- 4 to 6 large bell peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- Prepare the bell peppers and onions: remove the stem of the peppers and slice them into strips about 5mm thick them the onions thinly or depending on choice.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and heat until hot. Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the hot oil and stir together to combine, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, thyme, salt, bouillon powder and red pepper flakes, mix to combine and add the vinegar. You only need about 1 tablespoon.
- Continue cooking on medium-low heat for another 5 minutes until the peppers are tender and caramelised stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Take it off the heat and serve as desired.
Tips• You would get the best out of this simple recipe if you use fresh ingredients
• Adjust the heat level of this recipe to suit your taste
• Use any preferred herbs or spices of choice.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!