As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
These brown sugar glazed carrots are a perfect side to any dish. Tender baby carrots cooked in a mixture of butter and brown sugar on the stove top. It is quick and very easy to make and comes together in 10 minutes. Let me show you how to make the best brown sugar glazed carrots you can serve at your next gathering. This recipe is perfect for picky eaters, the aroma from the caramelised butter would make them change their minds.
Why This Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots Recipe Is So Good
It is quick and easy to make, side dish shouldn’t take forever to make and this brown sugar glazed carrot is a definition of easy does it. You can serve it with your thanksgiving, Christmas, weeknight dinners or Sunday dinners. It is perfect for dinner and holiday menu.
It is inexpensive, in fact, a bag of carrots here in the UK goes from 50p to £1 and that includes organic carrots too.
This recipe can be roasted in the oven if you don’t want to make it on the stove top
It is vegetarian, gluten-free and utterly delicious
This simple carrot side dish recipe only requires four main ingredients and that’s including the carrots.
What Do You Need To Make Glazed Carrots
Carrots: any types of carrot would work but I have used baby carrots. I must admit they are not easy to peel but I like them for the extra finesse they add to the table. In fact, if you are looking to save on prep time, buy store bought carrot batons.
Butter: I love salted butter. So for this recipe, I used salted butter but use any butter of choice.
Brown sugar: I used light brown sugar but if you would like yours richer and more caramelised in colour, use dark brown sugar
Water: this you need to soften the carrots before tossing in butter and brown sugar
These are what you need for stove top brown sugar glazed sugar but if you want, you may also use the following
Black pepper and salt: these are optional.
Fresh thyme: to garnish and it adds a great flavour to the overall dish. It complements the buttery flavour from the glazed carrots. Substitute for chopped parsley
Olive oil: this is completely optional but if you do decide to use it, you only need a little about a teaspoon. Also, if you would rather roast these carrots then I suggest you don’t omit the olive oil.
How To Make Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
First, you need to clean the carrots or peel them. I used baby carrots and they are a little fiddly to peel but do so if you can manage. Alternatively, scrub with a sponge to clean out the dirt. If you are using large carrots, cut them into equal sizes so they cook evenly.
Add the cleaned and sliced carrots to a sturdy pan or skillet, add water and simmer for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain excess water.
Add brown sugar and butter and olive oil if using then continue to cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat stirring continuously until the sauce comes together.
Take it off the heat, sprinkle with some fresh thyme, black pepper or parsley and serve warm.
What To Serve With Glazed Carrots
Glazed Carrots Variation
- Use, caster sugar, maple syrup or honey instead of brown sugar.
- Use dairy-free butter if you have an allergy to dairy or will be feeding a crowd and you are not sure of their dietary need. Better safe than sorry
- Add a splash of bourbon to this recipe for a more traditional taste.
- Add some orange or lemon zest to garnish your glazed carrots.
- Use orange juice to simmer the carrots instead of water.
- Steam the carrots instead of simmering in water
Note: cut the carrots into equal sizes so it cooks evenly. If using baby carrots, cut the bigger one into halves so it cooks the same time as the small ones.
How To Store it
Leftover glazed carrots can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days
Can I Make brown sugar glazed carrots Ahead
Yes, if you want you can peel and slice the carrot a day before. Because this recipe only takes about 10 minutes to make, I would recommend you make it on the day. If you made it ahead, store in the fridge and reheat in the oven, stove top or microwave.
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 1 kg carrots
- 3 tablespoons salted butter use unsalted butter if you would be steaming the carrots with some salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil optional
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Fresh thyme to garnish. Substitute with chopped parsely
- Clean the carrots and peel them. If using large carrots, cut them into equal size slices so they cook evenly.
- Add sliced carrots to a sturdy pan or skillet, add water and simmer for about 5 minutes until tender. Drain excess water. Add brown sugar and butter and olive oil (if using) then continue to cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat stirring continuously until the sauce comes together and slightly thick.
- Take it off the heat, sprinkle with some fresh thyme or parsley or black pepper and serve warm.
- Use maple syrup or honey instead of brown sugar.
- Add a splash of bourbon to this recipe for more traditional taste.
- Use dairy free butter if you have allergy to dairy or will be feeding a crowd and you are not sure of their dietary need. Better safe than sorry
If you made this quick glazed carrot recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox