As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
These juicy and tender crispy stove top chicken thighs is a perfect main dish. It is delicious, quick, easy and with a cooking time of about 30 minutes including prep.
This stovetop chicken thighs recipe is simple to make, pan seared to perfection and a great one pan meal that the whole family would love.
Pan seared chicken thighs
This budget-friendly pan seared chicken thighs recipe is perfect for all occasions, a perfect chicken dinner that is a family favourite.
I make chicken at least twice a week and this stovetop chicken thighs often finds its way on the menu. For a good reason, if you ask me, it is simply the best and it requires a few ingredients and yet full of flavour.
The simple process of pan searing chicken thighs that delivers juicy and crispy chicken. This cooking method is very similar to my honey garlic salmon, only that it cooks faster than the chicken. You can have your cake and eat it at the same time. Chicken thighs and sauce in one pan
You may be wondering if it is safe to cook chicken thighs over stove top, the answer is yes. In fact, you can cook boneless chicken thighs on the stove top in less than 15 minutes as I did with this chicken for a wrap
Related to this post is this juicy and tender cilantro lime chicken recipe.
Why We Love This Stovetop Chicken Thighs Recipe
You can use any type of chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, boneless, bone-in.
It is quick and simple to make and I absolutely love anything 30 minutes one pan skillet recipe
This pan seared chicken thighs is great for weekly meal plans.
You only need 4 ingredients to make it and they are ingredients you already have in your panty
It is inexpensive and budget-friendly. A perfect low carb meal that can double as keto recipe if you into that vibes.
Chicken broth substitute with cooking wine or water
Salt and pepper
Onion powder substitute with garlic powder
Olive oil: substitute with any flavourless oil or butter
How to make the best stove top chicken thighs recipe
Here is a quick overview of how to cook chicken thighs in a pan over the stovetop. Season chicken and pan fry in an iron skillet (or large cast iron skillet). Sounds so easy right? Ok, let’s get to it.
Prepare the chicken thighs, remove any visible unwanted fats and hanging skin. If you are using boneless skinless chicken thighs, then you may not need to do much.
Season both sides of chicken with the spices generously.
Place a large iron skillet over medium-high heat, then add oil until hot.
Add the chicken thighs skin side down and pan sear for 3 minutes untouched until the skin is nice, golden, crispy and no longer sticking to the pan. Flip chicken to the other side and pan fry for another 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth to the chicken, move around in other to deglaze the skillet. This would make some delicious pan sauce. Because I have used chicken thighs with bone-in for this recipe, it would take longer to cook than boneless chicken thighs.
After adding the chicken broth, cover the skillet with a lid (this is optional) and continue to cook chicken over medium heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.
How to Serve Pan Seared Chicken Thighs and Pan Sauce
Serve it alongside some creamy mashed potatoes, rice, steamed vegetables, cauliflower rice, French fries, salad etc the list is endless. The pan sauce makes a great gravy, you can either add it straight from the pan or add water or broth with cornflour to make a delicious gravy.
My pan sauce was served over garlic mashed potatoes, ‘Twas so good.
How to Store Cooked Chicken Thighs
Let any leftover cooked chicken thighs cool completely, store in an airtight container or wrapped in a foil then keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Chicken can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Recipes From the Blog
Want to make this chicken thighs recipe in an Instant pot then check this recipe?
Stove Top Chicken Thighs
- Cast iron skillet
- 5 chicken thighs about 700g
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder substitute with garlic powder or use both
- 2 tablespoon olive oil substitutes with any flavourless oil or butter
- Parsley chopped to garnish
- Prepare the chicken thighs, remove any visible unwanted fats and hanging skin. If you are using boneless skinless chicken thighs, then you may not need to do much.
- Season both sides of chicken with the spices generously.
- Place a large iron skillet over medium high heat, then add oil until hot. Add the chicken thighs skin side down and pan sear for 3 minutes untouched until skin is nice, golden, crispy and no longer sticking to the pan. Flip chicken to the other side and pan fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the chicken, move around in other to deglaze the skillet. This would make some delicious pan sauce. After adding the chicken broth, cover the skillet with a lid (this is optional) and continue to cook chicken over medium heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Take it off the heat and serve with other side of choice.
If you made this easy stovetop chicken thighs recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox