What’s for dinner? How about simple vegetarian sweet potato and chickpeas curry? This easy sweet potato curry is super quick and packed full of delicious flavours.
It is naturally gluten-free, vegan and a perfect meatless Monday recipe the whole family would love. Serve this with basmati rice or brown rice.
Sweet potato and chickpea curry recipe
I have been able to convert my fussy and picky eater family to eating chickpeas apart from when it is made into falafel or hummus. It has been a gradual and patient process but look at us today.
The pot of this chickpeas and sweet potato curry was gone on the day I made it. Who would have thought hey? This Creamy thick curry is now a staple in my home and I love how I can have this recipe from the kitchen to the dinner table under 30 minutes.
This easy sweet potato and chickpea curry just like these instant pot chicken curry and instant pot lentil curry is,
- Affordable especially if you use homemade cooked chickpeas
- Quick and simple
- Flavour packed
- Uses store cupboard ingredients
- Healthy and the spices used which include cumin, turmeric, curry powder are a great antioxidants
- Can be made in an instant pot or a slow cooker
Let me show you how to make this easy weeknight dinner curry in simple steps
Related recipes: butter bean curry and lentil curry.
Ingredients for my simple curry
A detailed list of ingredients used is in the recipe card at the bottom of the page!
Chickpea: I used homemade cooked chickpeas but you can use canned one instead.
Coconut milk: substitute for olive oil, ghee or any other flavourless cooking oil
Salt and red pepper flakes
Vegetable stock: substitute for chicken stock
Ginger granules and garlic powder: substitute for fresh garlic and ginger
Coconut oil: substitute for olive oil, ghee or any other flavourless cooking oil
How to make sweet potato and chickpea curry
Start by sautéing the finely chopped onions in hot and melted coconut oil until soft, fragrant and translucent.
Add the spices (cumin, turmeric, curry powder, ginger and garlic granules) and stir to combine until it releases fragrance.
Add cubed sweet potatoes and stir into the sautéed spices, add the chickpeas, salt and pepper flakes and mix to combine. Pour the vegetable stock and mix to combine.
Cover the pan with its lid and simmer the curry until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender (about 10 to 15 minutes)
Add the coconut milk or cream and mix to combine, stir in some chopped parsley, and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes on low heat or until the desired consistency is achieved.
Take it off the heat and serve over fluffy rice.
How to store leftover
Well done to you if you had any leftovers from the sweet potato and chickpea curry.
To store in the refrigerator, make sure the curry cools completely and portion into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to use leftover sweet potato and chickpea curry
This may sound weigh, but this curry is great with an omelette, all you need to do is stir a little in your whisked eggs and make it into an omelette.
Serve with roti, naan or pita and enjoy as lunch or snack
- Swap chickpea for lentil
- Use coconut milk instead of cream (they are both the same only that coconut cream is concentrated)
- Swap sweet potatoes for white potatoes (Chana Allo)
Meatless Monday Recipes you would love
Instant pot Frittata, eat it on its own or serve with some crispy potato wedges.
Instant pot ratatouille, serve over pasta or with this homemade garlic bread or this super easy no yeast bread.
Easy spinach rice, this would be perfect with some roasted vegetables
Creamy mushroom pasta, great as it is and it also a family favourite.
If you made this easy vegetarian sweet potato and chickpea curry recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry Recipe
- Cast iron pot
- 3 large sweet potatoes chopped about 2 ½ cups
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 100 g coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Start by sautéing the finely chopped onions in hot and melted coconut oil until soft, fragrant and translucent.
- Add the spices (cumin, turmeric, curry powder, ginger and garlic granules) and stir to combine until it releases fragrance.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes and stir into the sautéed spices, add the chickpeas, salt and pepper flakes and mix to combine. Pour the vegetable stock and mix to combine. Cover the pan with its lid and simmer the curry until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender (about 10 to 15 minutes)
- Add the coconut milk or cream and mix to combine, stir in some chopped parsley, and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes on low heat or until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Take it off the heat and serve over fluffy rice.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!
This curry is delicious!! I did add firm cubed tofu and served with basmati rice. Thanks for this excellent recipe💫
Thank you so much for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed it!
Hannah @ FamilyFoodFreezer says
This looks amazing!! Currys are one of my absolute favorite things to make when I am in a hurry and throwing a bunch of stuff together! SO easy and so much flavor!