Instant Pot Brown Rice
Learn how to make perfect and fluffy brown rice in your electric pressure cooker at all time using this step by step guide.
This instant pot rice is not mushy, dry or undercooked, it is tender, fluffy, nutty and delicious. You will never go back to using stove top or rice cooker after trying this recipe.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Brown rice is a tough nut to crack sometimes and can easily go wrong if it is not cooked right. With an electric pressure cooker, you can have this rice from the cooker to the table in 30 minutes (pressure building time not included) That is half the time it would take you if using the stove top or rice cooker. You are also guaranteed perfect rice at all times.
- It is a convenient way of cooking rice. You don’t have to keep going back and forth on this. Lock your instant pot securely, set the timer and walk away.
- All types of brown rice work for this recipe, although cooking time may change slightly. Short grain brown rice cooks a bit longer than the long grain
- It is easy, quick and no prep required.
- It is highly nutritious compared to white rice. I have eaten white rice to a point that it is almost becoming an empty calorie for me, but it is a different case with brown rice. It fills you up quicker and you will stay filled for longer.
- Rice is a staple in most homes and this brown rice is no different, it can be made ahead and stored to be used as desired as you would with white rice. Great for meal prepping and it stores well too
- You can use pot in pot method for this recipe if you are making a small quantity.
What is brown rice
Brown rice is whole grain rice that has just its outer inedible hull removed. It is the same as white rice only that white rice has been further processed or polished by removing more outer layer to make it whiter. Because brown rice only went through that one phase of processing, it is highly nutritious and said to be a better alternative to white rice. Although it cooks longer than white rice.
- Brown rice is a great antioxidant, high in fiber and contains more vitamins than white rice
- It aids weight loss and a better option to help with diabetics as it reduces lower blood sugar level if eaten in moderation.
- A cup of cooked brown rice contains approximately 216 calories
What you will need
Raw brown rice
Water: I used a water ratio of 1 to 1 ¼
Salt: optional but recommended
Butter: for good measure, substitute with coconut oil or olive oil
How to make brown rice in an instant pot
Rinse the rice under warm running water for some few seconds. This stage can be skipped if you would rather not rinse your rice. Brown rice is purer than white rice and doesn't require much rinsing. I am used to doing this as I believe it helps remove excess starch from raw rice and makes it less sticky when cooked.
Add water to the inner pot of the instant pot, add washed rice and salt if using and stir together to combine.
Lock the lid of the instant pot securely and set the valve to sealing or closed if using pressure king pro or any other electric pressure cooker, then cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the cycle is completed, the timer would beep and leave to natural pressure release for 10 minutes then quick pressure release.
Open the lid, add a knob of butter and fluff the rice with a fork until the butter melts into it. Serve immediately with other mains of choice.
Swap water for chicken stock
How to serve brown rice
How to store it
Ensure the rice is completely cool before storing in the refrigerator. It would last up to 5 to 7 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Portion into Ziploc bags, label and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat.
You can reheat your brown rice in your instant pot using the sauté function. Sprinkle with a little bit of water and stir so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan
Microwave: This is one of the quickest ways to warm up your rice.
Stove Top: Sprinkle the rice with water, break up every clump rice and stir to combine. Cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer on low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes depending on the quantity you are reheating.
Other instant pot recipes you'll love
If you made this instant pot brown rice recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Instant Pot
- 2 cups raw brown rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter substitute with any oil of choice
- Rinse the rice under warm running water for a few seconds. once or twice is ok
- Add water to the inner pot of the instant pot, add washed rice and salt if using and stir together to combine.
- Lock the lid of the instant pot securely and set the valve to sealing or closed if using pressure king pro or any other electric pressure cooker, then cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the cycle is completed, the timer would beep and leave to natural pressure release for 10 minutes then quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, add a knob of butter and fluff the rice with a fork until the butter melts into it. Serve immediately other mains of choice.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!