Frozen mixed veg makes a great side dish any time of the year and can be served with everything. It is convenient and easy to cook. This 10-minute recipe will teach you how to cook frozen vegetables on the stove in butter like a pro every time. It is buttery, fresh, nutritious and tasty.
How to cook frozen vegetables on the stove in butter
Cooking frozen vegetables on the stove is my favorite way to get vegetables quickly to the dinner table! It requires minimal effort and is super quick to make when you use the correct cooking technique.
If you have avoided serving mixed vegetables as a side dish in the past, then this recipe will change your mind. It is a game-changer! It is convenient yet delicious and can go well with various main dishes. This recipe will be worth every precious minute invested. You will never go back to using the microwave after today.
Why you will love this recipe
- There is no need to thaw the vegetables before cooking. This mixed veg is cooked directly from frozen.
- Ready in 10 minutes: A quick and easy straightforward recipe perfect for everyone.
- Healthy and nutritious: Frozen mixed vegetables are a great source of nutrients and vitamins. They are picked at their peak ripeness and then quickly frozen, preserving all the goodness. More importantly, vegetables are low in calories and fat, making them an excellent choice for a healthy side dish or meal.
- It is economical and perfect for all occasions: A pack of frozen veg costs nothing. It can be served with roast dinner on Sundays, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving and many more.
What you will need
To make this stove top frozen veg with butter, you will need these four ingredients.
Frozen mixed veg: my frozen veg comprises carrots, peas, sweetcorn and green beans. You can use any other type of frozen vegetable medley you prefer.
Unsalted butter: butter adds flavor to the natural taste of the vegetables without doing too much.
Salt and black pepper
Water: substitute with low vegetable or chicken stock.
How to cook frozen vegetables on the stove
Place a skillet over medium heat, and once it is hot, add frozen mixed veg
Add knobs of butter and place a lid on the skillet.
Cook the frozen vegetables until the butter melts, about 3-4 minutes.
Remove the lid, increase the heat, and stir the vegetables. Continue cooking until the liquid evaporates and the liquid reduces.
Finally, season the vegetables with salt and black pepper and cook until the liquid dries off. Take the skillet off the heat and serve immediately.
Watch how to make it
Variations and Tips
- Make it garlicky: add fresh chopped garlic or powdered garlic to the vegetables for an additional layer of flavor.
- Make it spicy: Add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the vegetables for a kick of heat
- Add cheese: Once the frozen veg is cooked, sprinkle some shredded melty cheese on top (parmesan, cheddar, or mozzarella) and let it melt before serving. This adds a delicious, cheesy flavor to the dish. This is a very unusual combination, but trust the process, as it is delicious.
- The pan must be hot before adding the frozen veggies
- Do not overcook the mixed vegetables so they don't turn mushy, soggy, or lose their texture. If cooked correctly, they will remain vibrant and crisp.
- Stir finely chopped parsley into the vegetables just before you take it off the heat for that extra burst of freshness.
- You may need to cook frozen vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots for longer because of their thickness.
- Skip adding water to steam the vegetables if your frozen veg has a lot of ice on it. Just add water accordingly after the initial cooking.
Are frozen vegetables already cooked
Yes, most frozen vegetables are blanched or partially cooked before they are packed for freezing. This process helps to retain the nutrients, flavor, and color of the vegetables.
How to store
Store leftover cooked frozen vegetables in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through before serving.
Do not refreeze the vegetables when it is already cooked.
More vegetable recipes you will love
How To Cook Frozen Vegetables On The Stove
- 1 lb frozen mixed veg
- 40 g unsalted butter about 2½ Tablespoons
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup Water sub with chicken or veg stock
- Place a skillet over medium heat, and once it is hot, add frozen mixed veg1 lb frozen mixed veg
- Add knobs of butter and water then place a lid on the skillet.40 g unsalted butter, ⅓ cup Water
- Cook the frozen vegetables until the butter melts, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the lid, increase the heat, and stir the vegetables. Continue cooking until the liquid evaporates and the liquid reduces.
- Finally, season the vegetables with salt and black pepper and cook until the liquid dries off. Take the skillet off the heat and serve immediately.Salt and black pepper to taste
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
And there you have it, a simple and delicious vegetable recipe you can make at home in 10 minutes. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 stars and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox.