You are probably wondering if you can roast frozen broccoli in the oven. The simple answer is yes and no judgement here too, oven roasted frozen broccoli is delicious and super convenient especially on the day you can’t be bothered with the extra job of cutting up fresh vegetables. It is a perfect side dish to everything mains.
Easy Oven Roasted Frozen Broccoli Recipe
I went grocery shopping recently and I was forced to buy frozen broccoli because the shop ran out of fresh ones. Well, I must say, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Firstly, it is inexpensive and you’ll get double the price you would pay for two broccoli heads.
Frozen broccoli are blanched before they are frozen and that is what makes them extremely convenient to cook. That said, they can easily turn to mush if overcooked.
This vegetable is versatile as it can be steamed, baked, grilled, microwaved, air fried, or even stir-fried, I just prefer to roast mine in the oven or air fried and it tastes so good.
I think of this vegetable as a healthy blank canvas that can be turned into all kinds of deliciousness. You can season the broccoli as you want and simply make it your own or stick with the basics. Sometimes, simple is just everything and when it comes to vegetables, nothing some parmesan cheese can’t fix.
If you own an instant pot but never tried cooking vegetables in it, you are in luck as you can start with my instant pot broccoli recipe or instant pot carrots for how to steam vegetables perfectly in a pressure cooker.
Hack to cooking oven-roasted frozen broccoli
I will share with you the simple trick or should I say a hack for the best way to roast frozen broccoli perfectly at all times. The simple hack is to roast it at a high temperature!
Remember, the vegetable is frozen and blanched, in other to get rid of the excess moisture, you need to cook it at a high temperature so it is firm and almost crispy. The heat helps the moisture to evaporate without making the vegetable mushy
Please note cooked frozen broccoli won’t be as crispy as a fresh one but they both taste fresh, delicious, more importantly healthy.
Frozen broccoli florets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated parmesan cheese
How to roast frozen broccoli in the oven
Preheat the oven at 220C/450F
Spread the frozen broccoli on a single layer in a baking tray
In a small bowl, combine garlic granules, onion powder, salt and pepper together and give it a good mix until well combined.
Drizzle some olive oil on the broccoli then add the seasoning mix. Shake/toss or mix using your hand to distribute the seasoning and oil on the vegetable.
Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip it then continue roasting for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the broccoli is brown around the edges.
Remove it from the oven one last time and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over it. At this point, you can choose to continue to roast or grill/broil for another 5 minutes.
Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon juice and enjoy
Tips for cooking frozen broccoli in the oven
- If after the first 20 minutes, the broccoli is still wet or there is a lot of water in the baking pan, simply tip out the excess liquid and continue to roast until done to your liking
- Use any seasoning of choice for this vegetable. I just like to keep mine simple but you can go all out to make it yours. You can try the seasoning I used for this cauliflower steak recipe. It is so flavourful and delicious
- It is crucial you preheat the oven before making this recipe, so do not miss this step for a great result.
- Lastly, do not overcrowd the pan, this is also important with any frozen vegetables you plan to roast.
How to serve cooked frozen broccoli
As I mentioned earlier, broccoli is very forgiven and can be served with almost everything. I love to serve it with some chicken roast, baked salmon or even rice. Try it with this instant pot chicken and rice.
How to store
This roasted broccoli would stay fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge. Ensure it cools completely and store in an airtight container.
To reheat: simply reheat in the microwave or air fryer (most recommended option) or leave on the countertop to come to room temperature before consuming.
More vegetable recipes
If you made this easy oven roasted frozen broccoli recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Oven Roasted Frozen Broccoli
- 1 kg 2.2lb frozen broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese or as needed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 220C/450F
- Spread the frozen broccoli on a single layer in a baking tray
- In a small bowl, combine garlic granules, onion powder, salt and pepper together and give it a good mix until well combined.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the broccoli then add the seasoning mix. Shake/toss or mix using your hand to distribute the seasoning and oil on the vegetable.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip it then continue roasting for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the broccoli is brown around the edges.
- Remove it from the oven one last time and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over it. At this point, you can choose to continue to roast or grill/broil for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon juice and enjoy
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!