Creamy sundried tomato pasta is another easy and quick pasta recipe you can make with what you have in your pantry cupboard and fridge. It comes together so quickly, you need simple ingredients and it's utterly delicious.
The creamy sauce is made with aromatics, savory sundried tomatoes, cooking cream, and Parmesan cheese, and it is then tossed with your favorite type of pasta. This pasta dish is ready in 20 minutes, let me show you how to make it.
Creamy sundried tomato pasta recipe
Fancy a meatless or vegetarian pasta dinner or even wondering what to do with a jar of sun dried tomatoes then this recipe is for you. It is a delicious and flavorful, satisfying, and affordable dinner that will surely bring everyone together around the table.
Sundried tomatoes are a great source of antioxidants and vitamins, and they add a delicious flavor to the sauce. The cream and Parmesan cheese make the sauce rich and creamy, and the fresh basil adds a touch of freshness. Even your fussiest eater wouldn't say no to this sundried tomato pasta. It is so delicious.
I love making easy weeknight dinners and yes, this is one of them. Let's get cooking!
Here are a few reasons why you will love this creamy sundried tomato pasta
It is easy and quick to make: This is a 20 minutes recipe tops and this means that you can have this pasta dish on the table in no time to feed some hungry tummies.
Delicious and flavourful: The combination of sundried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and basil creates a delicious combination that is irresistible.
Family-friendly pasta dinner that is relatively healthy: It is a dish that everyone in the family will love from children to adults. super satisfying and tasty. The pasta is packed with nutrients, thanks to the sundried tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese, more importantly, this recipe uses half and half (single cream) instead of heavy cream. This recipe is meat-free and can be made vegan with some simple swaps of ingredients.
It is budget-friendly: This recipe uses simple pantry staples ingredients including sundried tomatoes. It is affordable and a jar packed in oil sells for less than $5 in supermarkets. What's not love?
It's so versatile. You can use any type of pasta you like, and you can add in your favorite vegetables or proteins. you can add cubed chicken, salmon, shrimp, tofu or halloumi to this pasta.
What you will need
To make this simple and quick sundried tomato pasta, you will need the following handful of ingredients
- Sundried tomatoes in oil
- Italian seasoning
- Unsalted butter
- Chili flakes
- Half and half: also known as single cream
- Chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper
How to make creamy sundried tomato pasta
Cook the pasta: place a large pot of salted water over medium high heat then bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to the package directions or until al dente.
Make the creamy sundried tomato sauce: While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped shallots and cook until soft, translucent and until fragrant. Add chopped garlic and sundried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute stirring regularly so it doesn't burn.
Add Italian seasoning, chili flakes, salt and black pepper and cook for 30 seconds stirring occasionally.
Pour single cream and parmesan cheese, stir to combine, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Add hand-shredded basil and stir to combine.
Add pasta: drain the pasta (reserve some pasta water) and add it to the creamy sauce. Toss or stir to combine. If the sauce is becoming thick, add some of the reserved pasta water to loosen it up.
Take it off the heat and serve immediately with a side of salad or garlic bread. Enjoy!
Tips for making the best creamy sundried tomato pasta
- Don't overcook the pasta. It should be al dente, or slightly firm to the bite.
- Add some baby spinach to the pasta towards the end of cooking and cook until wilted for color and extra nutrition.
- Feel free to swap the half and half for heavy cream.
- Add some protein if desired. this will make the pasta more filling. You can add cubed chicken, shrimp, tuna or tofu. Add some vegetables such as asparagus, artichoke, broccoli and more.
- If you don't have Italian seasoning, feel free to use any seasoning you have on hand. Oregano and basil are great options for any pasta dish.
How to store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I don't recommend freezing this pasta.
Reheat with a splash of water, milk, or broth in the microwave or over the stovetop to ensure the pasta doesn't dry up.
More pasta recipes worthy of your dinner table you should try next
Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta
- 300 g penne pasta
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes in oil drained and chopped
- ½ cup shallots finely chopped finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic chopped
- ½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup half and half also known as single cream
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- Fresh basil about 8 leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta: place a large pot of salted water over medium high heat then bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to the package directions or until al dente.300 g penne pasta
- Make the creamy sundried tomato sauce: While the pasta is cooking, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped shallots and cook until soft, translucent and until fragrant. Add chopped garlic and sundried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute stirring regularly so it doesn't burn.1 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, ½ cup shallots finely chopped, 1 Tablespoon garlic, 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Add Italian seasoning, chili flakes, salt and black pepper and cook for 30 seconds stirring occasionally.½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon chili flakes, Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pour single cream and parmesan cheese, stir to combine, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.1 cup half and half, ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- Shred some fresh basil into the sauce and stir to combine.Fresh basil
- Add cooked pasta: drain the pasta (reserve some pasta water) and add it to the creamy sauce. Toss or stir to combine. If the sauce is becoming thick, add some of the reserved pasta water to loosen it up.
- Take it off the heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
And there you have it, a simple and delicious pasta recipe with sundried tomatoes you can make at home in 20 minutes. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox