As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
A quick delicious broccoli pasta recipe with shrimps, ready under 20 minutes. This healthy pasta with broccoli recipe is simple, easy and a quick dinner option the whole family would love. It may not be summer anymore, but a bowl of this pasta is sure cosy and comforting in this weather.
I know I only just posted broccoli recipe some few days back but I couldn’t resist sharing this. Also, don’t judge or blame me, I need to use my leftover veggies as I am trying to minimise food waste as much as possible. It breaks my heart when I have to throw food away. In fact, in most cases when I have leftover veggies, I make either chicken or vegetable stock and store away for later.
Back to my broccoli pasta recipe, this quick and easy pasta and broccoli tossed in olive oil, garlic, pepper and prawns is about to become your favourite way of cooking pasta. You can whip this up in under 20 minutes and it doesn’t require that many ingredients.
This is a simple pasta recipe that can be made vegan or vegetarian. I added shrimps to make it a whole meal and finished it off with some grated parmesan cheese. So good!
Why This Quick Pasta Recipe Is So Good
- It is super quick and easy. 20 minutes tops and you are done.
- Broccoli and pasta work together, and it is highly nutritious too
- You need less than 8 ingredients to make this delicious dinner and the ingredients are what you’ll likely have in your pantry.
What’s In My Broccoli Pasta
Pasta: I used conchiglie for this recipe but any other short pasta like elbow pasta, macaroni or penne pasta. You may even use spaghetti or linguine too.
Broccoli florets: Just 1 head of broccoli would do for the quantity of pasta used but feel free to adjust to taste
Fresh Shrimps: cleaned and deveined. This is optional but I used this to complete the dish and not bother of any other sides.
Olive oil: use any other oil of choice and you may even use butter too
Fresh garlic cloves: pasta recipe doesn’t seem to be complete without garlic
Grated parmesan cheese: or any other cheese that is best for pasta like Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino. Matured cheddar cheese would work too
Ground black pepper and salt: the salt is for the pasta and extra to later season the whole dish if need be
Pasta water: This is an important step you shouldn’t miss, the pasta water helps marry the sauce and pasta together. More importantly, you would use less oil if you do this
Red pepper flakes: optional but recommended for a little kick
Fresh basil: this is optional
Chopped red bell pepper: for flavour and extra crunch, this is completely optional, you can substitute with vine tomatoes if you want.Jump to Recipe
How To Make The Best And Super Quick Broccoli Pasta
This is simple to make with easy steps but first, you need to prep your ingredients.
Bring the pasta to a boil until al dente according to the instruction on the packet. 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the broccoli florets so they cook up together. Once it is cooked, reserve some pasta water then drain the pasta and broccoli in a colander and set aside
Place a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil once it is hot add minced garlic, chopped red bell pepper and shrimps and stir fry until the shrimps are completely pink and cooked.
Add the drained pasta and broccoli, black pepper and chilli flakes, Italian seasoning and mix to combine. Add pasta water and then mix or toss to combine. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
Finally, add parmesan cheese and basil, give it a final mix to melt the cheese and serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon if desired.
Tips For Cooking Perfect Pasta
- It is important to add salt to pasta when boiling it and I mean, you salt the pasta like you mean it. Also, use hot or boiling water to boil the pasta. Stir the pasta immediately after adding it to the water so they don’t stick together.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instruction or 1 minute less to be on the safe side to avoid overcooking the pasta
- There are debates on whether to add oil when boiling pasta or not, I do both depending on what I am using the pasta for. If I am making pasta salad or when I am having the pasta plain with sauce then I add oil.
Aside Shrimps what other protein can I add to this pasta
If you don’t want to use shrimps in your pasta and broccoli recipe, you may add bacon, cubed chicken or shredded chicken. You may also add more veggies if you want to bulk it up for a vegetarian or vegan complete meal.
Can I Make Pressure Cooker Pasta and Broccoli
Yes, you can but only cook on high pressure for about 3 minutes and add cooked broccoli to the end of the cooking process.
Other Quick And Easy Recipes For You
Other Brocolli Recipes You Would Love
Quick Broccoli Pasta Recipe
- large Skillet
- large Saucepan
- 350 g Pasta
- 1 head Broccoli florets chopped
- 2 dozens Fresh Shrimps: cleaned and deveined
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste and more to boil the pasta
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Handful fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pasta water about 1 cup
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- Bring the pasta to a boil until al dente according to the instruction on the packet. 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the chopped broccoli florets so they cook up together. Once it is cooked, reserve some pasta water then drain the pasta and broccoli in a colander and set aside
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil once it is hot add minced garlic, chopped red bell pepper and shrimps and stir fry until the shrimps are completely pink and cooked.
- Add the drained pasta and broccoli, black pepper and chilli flakes, Italian seasoning and mix to combine. Add pasta water (about ½ cup then adjust if need be) and then mix or toss to combine. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Finally, add parmesan cheese and basil, give it a final mix to melt the cheese and serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon if desired.
If you made this easy broccoli pasta recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox