As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Simple chickpea salad that only requires 10 minutes to make. It is healthy, quick, easy and flavour packed. This easy chickpea salad is great for lunch, as a side dish. A bowl of this to your next bbq or cookout would win people over.
The best part of this salad is that it can be made ahead of time, it uses 2 dressing ingredients, olive oil and lemon juice. The longer you keep it refrigerated after making it the more flavourful it becomes. Serve it on its own as a meatless meal with garlic bread or with baked salmon.
Easy chickpea salad recipe
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) on its own is one of the legumes my family has adapted to, they would happily eat chickpea in other recipes like this sweet potato and chickpea curry, falafel or hummus. It took them a while to get used to it and that was partly my fault.
Before, when I make this salad, I used to serve it straight after making it and most times, they tend not to finish it. The story changed when I started making it ahead, refrigerating it for at least 30 minutes before serving. that’s a quick tip by the way! They loved it and we no longer have leftovers with our chickpea salad.
I get my daughter to help out when I make this salad too, that is how easy it is to make. My daughter now makes cucumber salad and chickpea salad perfectly under minimal supervision.
Chickpea salad is great all year round and perfect in this summer weather too. It is so convenient to make especially if you are using canned chickpeas as I did.
If you fancy cooking your own chickpea from scratch then you should check this post on how to cook chickpea in an instant pot. Now, let’s make the best no-cook salad ever.
Why this recipe is good
This is me trying to convince you about chickpeas and why it should be incorporated into your diet.
- Chickpea is protein-packed and it is a good option for when you do not want to eat meat.
- It is healthy and improves your digestion. You would be surprised how filling this legume is.
- Chickpea is low carb, high in fibre and gluten-free.
- it is vegetarian, vegan and perfect for as a meatless dinner!
Ingredients in my simple chickpea salad
Canned chickpea (garbanzo beans)
Chopped tomatoes, deseeded
Onions: I love using red onions for flavour and colour.
Extra virgin olive oil: good quality EVVO
Fresh lemon juice
Garlic salt and pepper to taste
Dried dill and parsley: This is optional but I do add for garnish
Variations (veggies and seasoning)
Red bell peppers
Red wine vinegar: as part of the salad dressing
Feta cheese: for some Greek (Mediterranean) flavour
How to make simple chickpea salad
Drain chickpea and rinse under cold water.
To a large bowl, add drained chickpea, chopped cucumber, tomatoes, onions and give it a good mix. Add extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice then season with garlic salt and pepper and mix to combine. Cover the salad with a cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Other simple salad recipes for you
If you made this simple chickpeas salad and sauce recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Simple Chickpea Salad
- 400 g canned chickpea garbanzo beans
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes deseeded
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 2 tablespoons red onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Dried dill and parsley: This is optional but I do add for garnish
- Drain chickpea and rinse under cold water.
- To a large bowl, add drained chickpea, chopped cucumber, tomatoes, onions and give it a good mix. Add extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice then season with garlic salt and pepper and mix to combine. Cover the salad with a cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!