Watermelon salad! nothing screams summer than a bowl of watermelon feta salad with fresh basil and a simple dressing. This salad is so good you can finish a bowl without sharing. It is simple, light, refreshing, delicious, more importantly, it comes together in 10 minutes.
Watermelon Feta Salad with Basil Recipe
Who would have thought pairing watermelon with feta cheese would be so refreshing! It is like heaven in a bowl, the sweetness from the fruit, salty feta cheese, and fresh herbs (basil) with simple salad dressing complement each other so well.
It is a perfect summer salad everyone would love. Feta cheese is not everyone’s cup of tea but paired with watermelon will make you change your mind.
What is not to love about watermelon salad
- It is sweet, simple and flavourful
- Cool and refreshing, perfect for the summer indoor and outdoor parties, bbq, picnics, potlucks, dinner and more.
- Uses a handful of ingredients and requires minimal prep!
- You will see watermelon in a whole new light with this simple recipe
- It is vegetarian and gluten-free and can also be made vegan if you can lay your hands on some vegan cheese feta cheese.
- It is the best watermelon salad you can make.
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Ingredients
Seedless watermelon: a quick tip on spotting the right watermelon that is ripe and still firm is to look for the creamy yellow spot where the fruit had been sitting while growing. If it is creamy yellow then it is ripe and it should also feel heavy when you list it. Give the watermelon a knock and if you get a deep hollow sound, you are good to go.
Feta cheese: if you, spend a little bit more on the cheese and buy the type that is creamier
Fresh lime juice, substitute for lemon juice
Good quality olive oil
Fresh basil leaves
Salt and black pepper: you may be wondering why there is salt on the list since I am using salty feta. I like to add a pinch to balance the flavour of the overall dish. You skip this step if you would prefer.
While I have used the above ingredients in my salad, you can go all out and add any of the below ingredients to suit your taste.
Ingredients variations and substitution
Other fresh herbs such as mint leaves, dill, cilantro, parsley, arugula
Balsamic vinegar, reduction or glaze, red wine vinegar is an option too
Not a fan of feta cheese then substitute with goat cheese for watermelon goat cheese salad or mozzarella pearls for a milder taste.
Avocado, while this is not technically the same as feta cheese, it is a good substitute if you are vegan or not a fan of feta.
Onions or shallots
Chopped jalapeno for some heat
If you like crunch salad then add some nuts such as toasted walnuts, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed and the likes.
How to make watermelon feta salad with basil
Prep the ingredients: wash the watermelon, this step is important so as not to transfer bacterial into the rest of the ingredients. Peel and slice the watermelon and cut into cubes. Remove the feta from its packaging and cut the cheese into small cubes, alternatively, you can crumble it if you prefer.
Make the salad dressing: to a small mixing bowl add, olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice and whisk until emulsify. Then set aside.
Mix: In a large bowl, add watermelon cubes, feta cubes, salad dressing, basil chiffonade and toss to combine.
Refrigerate: place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving for the flavours to develop. That said, the salad can be served almost immediately if need be.
What to serve with watermelon salad
You are probably wondering wat does this salad go with, I love to serve it with any of the these delicious summer staples
Air fryer boneless chicken thighs, it tastes just like you grilled it
Watermelon salad is best served on the day it is made. The fruits release a lot of moisture when it is left sitting about which you would not like for a salad. Nevertheless, if you have any leftover then keep it in the fridge in an airtight container and consume within 2 days.
More summer recipes
Watch how to make it
If you made this easy salad recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe
- 6 cups seedless watermelon cubes
- 200 g feta cheese
- Fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prep the ingredients: wash the watermelon, this step is important so as not to transfer bacterial into the rest of the ingredients. Peel and slice the watermelon and cut into cubes. Remove the feta from its packaging and cut the cheese into small cubes, alternatively, you can crumble it if you prefer.
- Make the salad dressing: to a small mixing bowl add, olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice and whisk until emulsify. Then set aside.
- Mix: In a large bowl, add watermelon cubes, feta cubes, salad dressing, basil chiffonade and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate: place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before serving for the flavours to develop. That said, the salad can be served almost immediately if need be.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.