Cheesy spicy omelette with chips for dinner, yes, you read that right. Omelette is not for breakfast alone. It can be served any time of the days even for dinner. Here is my basic go-to omelette recipe from my kitchen to yours in less than 10 minutes. It is that quick and easy.
You can possibly fill these with many vegetables your heart can take but today we are keeping it simple. Right, let me show you how to make it easy steps. Serve this with crispy baked potato wedges or Parmentier potatoes as a complete nutritious meal.
Cheesy Spicy omelette recipe
Growing up in Nigeria, we serve omelette or scrambled eggs anytime of the day. We love to pair it with yam, bread, noodles or fried plantain. It is also served as street food with noodles in Nigeria juts as in India. So, it is not weird that I am sharing this with you today.
For today's recipes, I choose to go with a bit of Indian flavours (not quite masala flavour), for my simple egg recipe, I used cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder and red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat. You can also use fresh onions and chillies but the powder is quite handy and I won’t risk breaking the eggs while it's cooking that way.
Related post: if are loving the idea of today's egg recipe, you may also check out my instant pot frittata recipe. It is filled with vegetables, it is delicious and healthy too and can be eaten on its own any time of the day.
Why is my omelette breaking or rubbery
As I said earlier, I want to make this recipe as easy as ever that a beginner wouldn’t find it intimidating. The beauty of an omelette is when you are able to fold it in half without it breaking. Most time, an omelette breaks because the egg mixture is filled with many vegetables or fillings.
The best way to avoid that is by adding those fillings on one side of the egg and fold the other half with no vegetables over it. Also, if you do it this way, you won’t have overcooked or under cooked omelette.
When using vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus etc, you are best sautéing them to your likeness just before you make the omelette.
What else can I fill my omelette with
Bacon or ham are popular options but depending on the flavour you are aiming or part of the world you want to be transported to. You can also use salmon, chorizo and the likes.
- You can make this simple omelette recipe with or without milk. You can also omit the cheese if you are not a fan.
- Remember not to overfill the egg mixture as that may result in an undercooked mess and the omelette breaking too.
- I used butter to cook the eggs, you can by all means use a flavourless cooking oil and you may even use both oil and butter.
- If you are wondering how many eggs you need to make an omelet, then I would say 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs should be enough for an adult depending on your dietary need. I find 2 large eggs filling especially is I am serving it with chips
Simple spicy omelette ingredients
Large free-range eggs
Grated cheese: I used the good old cheddar cheese but you use any melting cheese of choices like mozzarella, gouda and the likes.
Smoked paprika: substitute this for sweet paprika, I just have a thing for smoked paprika and you will find me adding to almost everything.
Red pepper flakes: for a little bit of kick.
Full fat milk: substitute with and milk you want, you can even use cream such as single or double cream.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
How to make the best cheesy spicy omelette
Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk until light, add the milk and whisk to combine.
Add the spices, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
Heat a non stick skillet or frying pan on mefium heat, add butter and melt.
Pour the whisked eggs into the melted butter. Leave it to set around the edges for a few seconds the use a spatula to gently move the eggs around or tilt it in the pan so the uncooked eggs mixture can get the same heat distribution and set as well.
Just when the egg is about setting sprinkle the cheese and allow to melt then carefully fold the omelet in half. Transfer to a plate and serve with chips and salad of choice.
What to serve with an omelette
If you made this simple cheesy omelette recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Cheesy Spicy Omelette
- non-stick skillet
- 3 large free-range eggs
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese you use any melting cheese of choice like mozzarella, gouda and the likes.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp smoked paprika substitute this for sweet paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes: for a little bit of kick.
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp milk substitute with any milk you want. you can even use cream such as single or double cream.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk until light, add the milk and whisk to combine.
- Add the spices, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan on medium heat, add butter and melt.
- Pour the whisked eggs into the melted butter. Leave it to set around the edges for a few seconds then use a spatula to gently move the eggs around or tilt it in the pan so the uncooked eggs mixture can get the same heat distribution and set as well.
- Just when the egg is about setting sprinkle the cheese and allow to melt then carefully fold the omelet in half. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately with chips and salad of choice.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!