This easy Mexican rice and black bean recipe is simple yet super flavorful. Made with simple everyday ingredients, this delicious Mexican rice and beans requires minimal prep, and it is ready in under 40 minutes. It is a versatile dish that you can use throughout your week's menu.
Why you will love this recipe
Rice and beans are staple ingredients in Mexican / Spanish cuisine, and this one-pot recipe combines them perfectly for a satisfying and delicious meatless side dish. More importantly, I love how vibrant and colorful this dish is. Here are some reasons why you will love this Mexican rice and beans recipe:
- It is easy to make: With simple ingredients and minimal prep time, you can have a tasty meal on the table in under 40 minutes. It is even better and faster in the instant pot. You can have this dish on the table in 20 minutes.
- It is versatile: Spanish rice and beans can be used in a variety of ways throughout the week. Enjoy it as a side dish, use it as a filling for burritos or tacos, or add some protein like tofu, chicken, or shrimp to make it a complete meal. You can even serve it on its own as a meatless meal.
- It is packed with flavor: The combination of spices, vegetables, and beans in this recipe creates a burst of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
What you will need
White rice: I used golden sella basmati rice which cooks just like long white grain rice. Substitute with jasmine or brown rice, adjusting the cooking time accordingly.
Vegetable oil: Substitute with avocado or olive oil
Passata: substitute with a jar of salsa, canned chopped tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, or canned fire-roasted tomatoes.
Canned black beans: substitute with pinto beans as it is commonly used in traditional Mexican cuisine.
Chicken bouillon powder
Salt to taste
How to make Mexican rice and black beans
Add the rice to a sieve and rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain it well and set aside.
Now heat up vegetable oil on medium-high heat in a saucepan. Once hot, add the rice and stir continuously for about 5 minutes until lightly toasted (the color will change to almost brown).
Add onions and garlic, stirring continuously until soft, translucent, and fragrant.
Next, add ground cumin, chili powder, chicken bouillon powder and stir to combine.
Add the passata, tomato paste, and water to the rice and stir well to combine.
Add black beans and salt to taste then stir to combine.
Let the rice come to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the lid, add chopped cilantro, and stir to combine. Place the lid back on and let the rice rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Watch how to make it
Can I make this in the instant pot
Yes, you can. Use my instant pot Mexican rice recipe. The only thing you think you would do differently is add drained canned beans before, just as I did with my instant pot rice and beans recipe.
Please note that the type of rice will determine how long you cook the rice. For example, if using brown rice, you will have to cook it for at least 35 minutes.
How to store
You can store leftover rice and beans in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat on the stovetop on low-medium heat or in the microwave until warm through.
More rice recipes you will love
Mexican Rice And Black Beans
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice I used golden sella basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup passata see note 1
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 400 g Canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- Salt to taste
- Add the rice to a sieve and rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain it well and set aside.
- Now heat up vegetable oil on medium-high heat in a saucepan. Once hot, add the rice and stir continuously for about 5 minutes until lightly toasted (the color will change to almost brown but not burnt).¼ cup vegetable oil, 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- Add onions and garlic, stirring continuously until soft, translucent, and fragrant. about 30 seconds½ cup onion finely chopped, 4 garlic cloves chopped
- Next, add ground cumin, chili powder, chicken bouillon powder and stir to combine.1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- Add the passata, tomato paste, and water to the rice and stir well to combine.1 cup passata, 2 Tablespoons Tomato paste, 3 cups water
- Add black beans and salt to taste then stir to combine.400 g Canned black beans, Salt to taste
- Let the rice come to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the lid, add chopped cilantro, and stir to combine. Place the lid back on and let the rice rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
And there you have it, a simple and delicious rice and beans recipe you can make at home in 30 minutes. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox.