Learn how to cook ground beef in the air fryer using my simple steps. Air fryer ground beef is fast and easy and results in perfectly cooked and flavorful ground meat, ready to use in your favorite dishes.
In 2020, I shared how to cook ground beef on the stovetop, and it is one of the most popular recipes on my site and YouTube channel to date. However, with the rise in popularity of air fryers, there have been a few requests for an air fryer ground beef recipe.
So today, I'm sharing my easy method for cooking ground beef in an air fryer. This cooking method will work for other types of ground meat as well, turkey, pork, etc, and can be used in all your favorite dishes that require ground meat.
Why you will love cooking your ground beef in the air fryer
- You'll achieve perfectly browned ground meat that cooks evenly with less time and effort compared to stovetop cooking. Great texture and flavor guaranteed!
- The fat drain will drain at the bottom of the air fryer basket, so you don't have to worry about draining after cooking. This is especially beneficial when using fattier cuts of ground beef.
- You'll love cooking ground beef in an air fryer for its versatility. You can use this method for all your favorite dishes that require ground meat, such as tacos, chili, casseroles and many more.
- Additionally, it is easy to clean up and has no splatter.
What you will need
Ground beef: I used lean meat with 5% fat, hence why I am adding olive oil to help prevent the meat from drying out.
Olive oil: This is optional if you are using 15 -20% fat content to meat.
Ground beef seasoning: I used my homemade ground beef seasoning. It is made using everyday spices and comes together in under 5 minutes. You can season your ground meat with any seasoning you prefer.
Salt and black pepper
How to make air fryer ground beef
Preheat the air fryer to 400F / 200C for 3 - 5 minutes
In a bowl, combine ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground mustard, paprika, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix gently to combine with a spatula to combine.
Place the seasoned ground meat in the air fryer basket and spread it out evenly.
Air fry the ground beef for 400F / 200C for 7-8 minutes or until browned and no longer pink, stirring it halfway through the cooking to break up the meat.
Once cooked, transfer the ground beef to a plate and use as desired in your recipes.
Watch how to make it
How long to cook ground beef in air fryer
The temperature and the quantity of ground beef you are using will determine how long you will cook it. half a pound of ground beef cooked at 400F /200C will take between 6-8 minutes. If cooked at a lower temperature of 375F /180C, it might take up to 10 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 160F for safe consumption.
Remember that ground beef tends to cook faster in an air fryer compared to other cooking methods, so keep an eye on it.
- Ensure that you preheat the air fryer basket the same way you would with the traditional stovetop method. Preheating allows the meat to brown properly.
- If using lean ground beef as I did, consider adding a tablespoon of olive oil or any other cooking oil to keep the meat from drying out during cooking. Alternatively, add a splash of water to the ground meat halfway through the cooking time when you are stirring it.
- Break up the meat if you don't want to end up with larger chunks of ground beef; this is especially important if you are using ground beef in dishes such as tacos or casseroles.
- I seasoned the meat with onion powder. You can swap it with finely chopped fresh onions if you prefer.
How to store
Store leftover cooked ground beef in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months in a Ziploc bag or an airtight container.
Can I cook frozen ground beef in the air fryer
Yes, you can cook frozen ground beef in the air fryer. Place the frozen meat in the fryer basket. Cook at 320F / 160C for 5-6 minutes to partially defrost it. Then, increase the heat to 400F / 200C and cook as instructed in the recipe or until it is no longer pink.
More air fryer ground meat recipes you will love
- Air fryer chicken patties
- Air fryer frozen burgers
- Air fryer meatloaf
- Air fryer turkey meatballs
- Air fryer frozen turkey meatballs
Air Fryer Ground Beef
- ½ lb Ground beef also known as beef mince
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F / 200C for 3 - 5 minutes
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground mustard, paprika, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Mix gently to combine with a spatula to combine.½ lb Ground beef, 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, ½ teaspoon ground mustard, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, Salt and black pepper
- Place the seasoned ground meat in the air fryer basket and spread it out evenly.
- Air fry the ground beef for 400F / 200C for 7-8 minutes or until browned and no longer pink, stirring it halfway through the cooking to break up the meat.
- Once cooked, transfer the ground beef to a plate and use as desired in your recipes.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
And there you have it, a simple and delicious beginner air fryer recipe you can make at home in no time. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox.