The best homemade fajita seasoning recipe that is delicious, packed full of flavor, and preservatives free. This DIY fajita spice mix comes together quickly to create a spicy, flavorful seasoning for chicken, beef, veggies, dips, and more!
Homemade Fajita mix from scratch
If you have ever wanted to make your own fajita seasoning at home, now is the time to do so, get your DIY cap and get mixing this easy peasy spice blend you will love. Honestly, once you learn to make your own spice blend from scratch, you will stop buying store-bought packet seasoning.
I love the total control I have whenever I am making homemade condiments, it is just convenient and I mostly work with what I have on hand. Plus, the flavors are so much more fresh and tasty. So do give this homemade fajita seasoning a try today and let me know what you think!
After you have made today's recipe, you should definitely try out my other simple homemade spice blends. Taco seasoning which is like the cousin of Fajita seasoning, Hello Mexican flavors!! Fish seasoning and Peri-Peri seasoning.
This fajita seasoning recipe is
- Gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and keto-friendly
- Preservative-free (no fillers or additives), sugar-free, cornstarch-free, and low in sodium which makes it better than store-bought
What's in fajita seasoning?
My homemade fajita seasoning consists of the following herbs and spices
Smoked paprika substitute with sweet paprika
Cayenne pepper for a more heat
Salt to taste
Tools you'll need
A dry recycled glass jar with an airtight lid
How to make homemade fajita seasoning.
This is simple and straightforward, to the dry glass jar, add all the ingredients, cover with an airtight lid and give it a good shake until the spice is well blended.
Store in a dry cupboard and away from direct sunlight
How to use Fajita spice blend
Fajita seasoning is not just for chicken alone, it is great with steak, shrimp, and even vegetables. It can be used as a dry rub or marinade and is simple to use, all you need to do is marinate the meat of choice with the seasoning mix and oil of choice.
You can also add to your favorite dips for an instant boost of flavor, this spice blend will transform, plain yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, and more.
Use 1 tablespoon of fajita spice mix to 2 pounds of meat or chicken. You can always adjust the seasoning to taste but 1 Tablespoon is a good starting point. See how I used it with chicken in my chicken fajita recipe.
Watch how to make it
- To be honest, if you have the money, go for organic herbs and spices if possible. Or read the instructions on your normal one to ensure it contains whole spices and no preservatives.
- You can make this fajita seasoning in bulk, it will last you for a longer period of time, store in an airtight container, and keep away from direct sunlight.
- Use a dry spoon when taking out the spice blend from the jar, to avoid contamination.
- Do not pour the spice blend straight over hot or steamy food to extend its shelf life and freshness. Before adding to a hot dish, make sure you measure out the amount you need on a spoon or mixing bowl.
- Omit the salt completely if you desire. Just adjust the other seasonings accordingly.
- If you don't have smoked paprika, use sweet paprika instead, it is not a deal-breaker for this spice blend.
More seasoning blend you can make from scratch
If you made this easy DIY spice mix recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Homemade Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- glass jar and measuring spoons
- 1½ Tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked paprika substitute with sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Onion granules
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper for a more heat
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- To a dry glass jar, add all the spice ingredients, cover the jar with an airtight lid and give it a good shake until the spice is well blended.
- Use as needed on chicken, beef, veggies, dips, and more. Store in a dry cupboard and away from direct sunlight
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.