If you love chicken and peppers then you will love this easy and flavourful air fryer chicken fajitas recipe. This recipe features 5 ingredients: chicken, bell peppers, onions, olive oil, and delicious homemade fajita seasoning.
This is a simple and flavorful Cosori air fryer recipe with a Tex Mex flair. Serve with tortillas, rice or eat it as it is for a low-carb dinner.
Chicken fajitas are the perfect dish for a busy weeknight and on special occasions because why not, the flavors are amazing! This easy air fryer recipe makes enough for four people, but it is easy to double the recipe as it is great for feeding a crowd.
What makes chicken fajitas in the air fryer great
- This is an absolutely delicious and flavorful recipe. The chicken is tender and juicy on the inside and a tad crispy on the outside, and the peppers and onions are cooked to perfection. The seasoning is perfect and you can adjust the heat to your preference.
- Easy and quick to make, about 20 minutes or less if prepped ahead of time. You can slice the chicken and peppers ahead and mix it all together with fajita seasoning and the rest of the ingredients just before air frying.
- You only need one bowl to mix the ingredients so cleaning up is easy.
- Air fryer chicken fajitas is low carb, gluten-free, great for meal prepping and keto-friendly
Tools you'll need
Air fryer: I use COSORI XL 5.5L but any other brand and sizes would work for this recipe
Sharp knife for all the cutting and slicing
A large mixing bowl
Boneless skinless chicken: I used a combination of chicken breast and chicken thighs for the taste of both worlds.
Bell peppers: I used a combination of green, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers
Fajita seasoning: I have the best homemade fajita seasoning recipe you can whip up in under 2 minutes, do check it out.
Onions: I used red onions but you can use white onions too
Salt and black pepper to taste
How to make air fryer chicken fajitas
First, you prep the veggies and chicken: wash the bell pepper, pat them dry then slice the peppers into thick strips (10mm thick) and onions into about 5mm thickness. Slice the chicken into thin strips (½ inch thick)
Add the sliced bell pepper, onions, and chicken strips into a large bowl. Season with salt, black pepper, fajita seasoning, add olive oil, and mix well to combine. If you don't mind handling raw chicken, you may combine it with your hands to save time and avoid mess.
Preheat the air fryer at 190C/3885F for 5 minutes, add the chicken and peppers to the air fryer basket, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes stirring it every 10 minutes or so.
Remove the air fryer basket once the chicken is fully cooked, squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice and sprinkle some chopped cilantro on it. Serve immediately with tortilla or cauliflower rice for a healthier option.
What sides to serve with chicken fajitas
I usually serve this easy air fryer recipe with tortillas, but you can also go healthy and eat it as it is. You are free to choose any low-carb or no-carb side dish for this meal. If you are watching your calories then cauliflower rice would be a great option. Here are other great sides to serve along with this Mexican recipe
Mexican rice (made in the instant pot)
Salsa (this is made in the blender and it takes about 5 minutes to make)
How to store air fryer chicken fajitas
Fridge: Cool the chicken fajitas completely, store in an airtight container, and store in the fridge for 3 -5 days
Freezer: You can freeze this for up to 3 months in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. Thaw it overnight in the fridge before reheating it.
To reheat: Reheat either in the air fryer or in the microwave until hot to your liking before serving.
If you want to skip the tortillas and rice, serve this over cauliflower rice or with a side salad for a lower-carb dinner! You can also add your choice of toppings such as salsa, sour cream, cilantro, queso fresco, avocado, etc. Just make it your own and enjoy a delicious and flavorful dinner.
This recipe is made to feed about 4 people (2 tortilla wraps per person), you may halve the amount if you wish. You may not need to reduce the number of bell peppers and onion in this dish unless you are not a fan.
More air fryer recipes you may like
Air fryer sausages (you can add peppers with it if you desired)
If you made this easy chicken fajita in the air fryer, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer
- 2 lb Boneless skinless chickens cut into thin strips I used a combination of chicken breast and chicken thighs for the taste of both worlds.
- 4 large Bell peppers cut into strips (10mm thick)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Fajita seasoning
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add the sliced bell peppers, onions, and chicken strips into a large bowl. Season with salt, black pepper, fajita seasoning, add olive oil, and mix well to combine.
- Preheat the air fryer at 190C/385F for 5 minutes, add the chicken and peppers to the air fryer basket, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes stirring it every 10 minutes or so.
- Once the chicken and peppers are fully cooked, squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice and sprinkle some chopped cilantro on it (if desired). Serve immediately with tortilla or cauliflower rice for a healthier option.
- You'll know that chicken is fully cooked if you cut one open and the inside is white and opaque, with no pink or evidence of blood
- Cut the chicken into similar sizes so that they cook evenly.
- Do not cut the peppers too thin as it may burn since it cooks faster than the chicken.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.