This easy chicken fajitas recipe is a simple and quick chicken dinner you can put together on a regular or a busy weeknight. It is so quick, you would think Jamie Oliver made it.
This classic Mexican recipe is made with homemade fajita mix, it is healthy, flavourful, the chicken breasts pieces are tender and juicy, all thanks to the marinade. Let me show you how to make the best recipe chicken fajita at home with this step by step guide.
Easy chicken fajitas recipe
Don’t even get me started on the sautéed bell pepper and onions. All these delicious wrapped in a flour tortilla. Every bite of this easy dish is a yummy experience in your mouth.
My of my, this is heaven, no wonder it is everyone’s favourites including my picky eater, they always ask for a second with chicken fajitas. I don’t even have to add cheese and they love it.
If you have a picky eater in your homes like mine do sometimes, this is one way to sneak in some vegetables in their meals and they wouldn’t resist.
Chicken Fajita, the best school night dinner
This easy chicken fajita recipe with homemade fajita seasoning is ready in under 20 minutes and it requires minimal prep.
The only hard work is slicing the bell peppers and onions and it would only take you 5 minutes tops. If time is of the essence, you can use pre-cut bell peppers and frozen chicken pieces. This recipe is versatile and can be made in an instant pot or a slow cooker (crockpot). I will share the instant pot version with you soon.
You may also make this recipe a sheet pan dinner, that way it is totally hand free, you place all the ingredients on a baking tray, mix it with some oil and lime juice and whack it in the oven to do its thing, chicken dinner ready in 30 minutes.
If you are on a low carb diet, then this is a good recipe for you, skip the corn or flour tortilla and bulk more on the salad to make this chicken fajita even healthier and keto-friendly. I have used chicken breasts for this recipe but feel free to use chicken thighs. Although, I prefer chicken thighs for fajitas.
Right, enough talking, let’s get cooking
What’s in my easy fajita marinade
To make the above spices to a marinade, you mix all the dry ingredients together with light olive oil and lime juice. It is so good you might even decide it would be your go-to chicken marinade. Before you decide, I think you should try my garlic chicken thighs recipe. For this recipe, I also used 3 colour bell peppers, green, red, and yellow. Talk about eating the rainbow. Use any bell peppers you have on hand.
How to make the best homemade easy chicken fajitas
Cut the chicken breast into thin strips about 1 inch across the smaller width of the chicken and add to a bowl.
Add the fajita seasoning, salt, black pepper, vegetable oil, lime juice and mix to combine.
Slice the onions and bell peppers into thin strips or according to preference
Place a skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and cook heat until hot, add the sliced bell peppers and onions and stir fry until the onion is soft and the pepper crisp-tender.
Finish it off with a pinch of salt and cumin and stir to combine. Take it off the heat and transfer the peppers to a bowl.
Working very quickly, return the skillet to the heat, add little oil if need be then add the chicken pieces (do not overcrowd the skillet) and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each sides or until fully cooked. Repeat this process until you have cooked all the chicken strips.
Return the sautéed peppers and onions to the skillet with the cooked chicken pieces and toss to combine.
Take it off the heat and serve immediately on tortilla and avocado slices. Finish it off with squeeze of lime juice and enjoy.
What to serve with chicken fajitas
Whether you are serving this at home or for a crowd and parties, here are few options you may fill or serve your fajitas with
Serve on a bed of lettuce
How to store chicken fajita
This recipe stires well and that it is percect for meal prepping. It would last up to 5 days in the fidge in an airtight container, make sure it is completely cooled.
Yes, you can freeze chicken fajitas and it reheats nicely too, simply let it thaw and reheat in the microwave.
Tips for making the best chicken fajita
- Double or triple this recipe to suit you, this is a crowd pleasing chicken dish everyone would love.
- Cut the chicken strips and veggies into equal sizes so it cooks evenly.
- Have you tried the chicken and would love to try this recipe with another source of protein, swap the chicken for steak strips.
How much chicken fajitas per person: depending on the size of the individuals and their dietary needs, I would say between 100g to 150g should be more than enough for one person.
How long do I marinade the chicken for: 10 minutes if are pressed for time but the longer you leave it, the better and flavourful your chicken would be. This is why I prefer homemade fajita seasoning to store-bought as you get more flavour from homemade. Marinade while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
Do I need a cast iron to make this recipe: It is not a must as the reason cast iron is recommended is so that the chicken doesn’t stick for the pan when searing. You can easily achieve this with a non-stick pan or a sturdy skillet like the one I used for today’s recipe
Other easy weeknight dinner recipes you would love
Salt and pepper chicken, this is our go-to Chinese take out recipe.
Quick spaghetti Bolognese, ready in 30 minutes.
If you made this easy chicken fajita recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 600 g chicken breasts about 4 pieces
- 3 large bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt or according to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 large flour tortillas or eight small ones
- Cut the chicken breast into thin strips about 1 inch across the smaller width of the chicken and add to a bowl.
- Add the fajita seasoning, salt, black pepper, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, lime juice and mix to combine.
- Slice the onions and bell peppers into thin strips or according to preference
- Place a skillet on medium heat, add half of the remaining olive oil and cook heat until hot, add the sliced bell peppers and onions and stir fry until the onion is soft and the pepper crisp-tender. Finish it off with a pinch of salt and cumin and stir to combine. Take it off the heat and transfer the peppers to a bowl.
- Working very quickly, return the skillet to the heat, add the remaining oil if need be then add the chicken pieces (do not overcrowd the skillet) and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Repeat this process until you have cooked all the chicken strips.
- Return the sautéed peppers and onions to the skillet with the cooked chicken pieces and toss to combine.
- Take it off the heat and serve immediately on tortilla and avocado slices. Finish it off with a squeeze of lime juice and enjoy.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.