Easy and delicious garlic herb seasoning! simple chicken dinner that requires 4 main ingredients, chicken breast, homemade garlic herb seasoning, olive oil, and butter.
This recipe is one of our go-to for a quick, easy weeknight meal. The chicken is baked to perfection, it is tender, moist, and buttery.
If you are looking for a family and budget-friendly recipe then this garlic herb chicken recipe is for you. I used my homemade garlic herb seasoning which is a combination of herbs and spices like, chervil, sage, parsley, garlic granules, dill, thyme and black pepper.
It compliments the chicken so well and the addition of butter takes these chicken breasts extra delicious.
Why you will love this recipe
Quick and easy: you can make this dish in one pan to save on cleanup, I seasoned the chicken directly in the baking dish making the prep time even faster.
Flavorful and delicious: the simple chicken seasoning is savory, garlicky, and herby all in one bite. The olive oil helps to keep the chicken nice and moist while baking in the oven. So yes, no fry or bland chicken with this recipe.
Versatile: this recipe is versatile to make ahead for meal prep and you can serve this garlic herb chicken with many sides such as mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, or even a salad!
Healthy: chicken breast is a good source of high protein, not only is it healthy and nutritious but it is also low in fat and calorie.
What you will need
Boneless skinless chicken breasts
Garlic herb seasoning: I used homemade seasoning, but you can use store-bought version. Make sure to read the label and avoid any with added salt or sugar if possible.
Olive oil: substitute with avocado oil or any other flavorless oil choice
Unsalted butter: substitute with salted butter but reduce the salt you will use to season the chicken.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make garlic herb chicken breast
Preheat the oven to 400C / 200C and lightly spray a shallow baking dish with oil then set aside.
Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet so that they come in similar sizes.
Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel then place it in a baking dish and season with salt and black pepper.
Drizzle olive oil on the chicken breasts and massage it on all sides, then sprinkle the garlic herb seasoning evenly, flip, and season.
Add butter slices equally to the chicken and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. You will know the chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature registers 165F / 74C.
Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before serving or slicing it for the juice to redistribute back into the chicken for a juicy and moist bite.
Serve as desired and enjoy!
- Add lemon juice or white wine while baking to add extra flavor.
- Substitute garlic herbs seasoning with different herbs and spices. I love cajun seasoning and its perfect with this recipe.
- Just a few minutes (say 10-12 minutes) before you remove this chicken from the oven, throw in some asparagus, green beans or broccoli to make this an even healthier dish. It also minimizes the dishes you would have to wash.
- To make this dish even quicker, cut the chicken brea into cutlets and cook the chicken half the time.
- For more heat, add cayenne pepper or chili flakes to the marinade accordingly.
What to serve with garlic and herb chicken
Baked chicken breast is versatile and can be served in various ways. Mashed potatoes, salads, rice, couscous, quinoa, and many more. You can even shred it and use it in salads, sandwich fillings, pita or sub rolls.
How to store
You can store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. As I mentioned, this recipe is great for meal prep and would keep well and fresh for you for a few days if stored correctly.
Freeze the chicken in the freezer for up to 3 months, make sure it cools completely before storing it away.
Can I make garlic herb chicken in the air fryer
Yes, you can make this recipe in the air fryer at 400F /200C for 15-18 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
How long to bake chicken breast at 400F
How long the chicken breast will cook at 400F will depend on the size of the chicken breast. Typically, it takes around 25-30 minutes if the chicken is of similar size.
To make sure that your chicken is cooked through, use a thermometer to read the internal temperature of the chicken. The chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
How long can I marinade this chicken
You can marinate this chicken for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
Will this recipe work with chicken thighs
Yes, you can swap the chicken breast for boneless chicken or a bone-in-one with skin. Adjust the cooking time accordingly; boneless chicken thighs will take less time.
More baked chicken breast recipes you will love
Garlic Herb Chicken
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2.2lb
- 1 ½ Tablespoons garlic herb seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 60 g unsalted butter cut into 12 cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400C / 200C and lightly spray a shallow baking dish with oil then set aside.
- Pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet so that they come in similar sizes.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel then place it in a baking dish and season with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil on the chicken breasts and massage it on all sides, then sprinkle the garlic herb seasoning evenly, flip, and repeat the seasoning process.
- Add butter slices equally to the chicken and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. You will know the chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature registers 165F / 74C.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before serving or slicing it for the juice to redistribute back into the chicken for a juicy and moist bite.
- Serve as desired and enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
And there you have it, a simple and quick baked chicken breast recipe you can make at home in no time. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox.