Air fryer whole chicken! Once you learn how to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer, you may not go back to cooking it in the oven ever again. It is easy to make, quick and the chicken turns out with crispy skin, juicy and delicious meat!
Air fryer whole chicken recipe
Sunday roast or weeknight just got better with the air fryer, now you don’t need an oven to enjoy Sunday roast chicken or rotisserie-style chicken. It is simply amazing and unbelievably easy to achieve under 60 minutes and that includes the prep time too.
If you do have a conventional oven, having an air fryer on the side means you can make other dishes in the oven while you make the chicken in the air fryer.
Note: unlike other chicken cuts like wings, breast and thighs that can be cooked from frozen in an air fryer, I wouldn’t recommend making this whole chicken in one. It is best you let it thaw completely before cooking it, that way you would not risk overcooking the bird or letting it dry out. Also, there wouldn’t be a risk of undercooking the chicken as well.
You are probably wondering the following question
Can you cook a whole chicken in air fryer?
The answer is yes, you can but there are things to consider before making it in your gadget. What is the size of your air fryer: It is important to know if your bird can fit in your air fryer basket.
You do not want to buy a chicken excitedly and only get home to realise it is too big for your air fryer basket. Alternatively, you may want to spatchcock the chicken or cook half a chicken so it can fit in the air fryer.
The shape of your air fryer may also be a determinant if you are able to cook a whole chicken in it or not. If you are using one that is about 5L in volume then, I think you should be fine. I use Cosori XXL 5L, and it has a square basket. Other brands with similar air fryer baskets are Nuwave and power air fryer.
Don’t have an air fryer and you would still want to make this recipe, you can use the same ingredients listed in today’s recipe and follow the steps I used in making this simple roasted chicken. You can also make a whole chicken in an instant pot with this recipe.
Why you may find yourself making this chicken recipe every time
- It is easier and quicker than roasting or baking in a conventional oven
- You only require a handful of ingredients to make it, in fact, you can make it with just 3 ingredients salt, pepper and paprika.
- Who needs a rotisserie machine when you have an air fryer? That means you can have your favourite chicken sandwich, wraps, salad or chicken soup any day of the week.
- Your whole family would love this, the flavours are incredible.
- This is a 3-step recipe, make the chicken seasoning, rub it on the bird and air fry. It is simple right.
Herb de Provence: substitute with Italian seasoning or mixed herbs
Cayenne pepper: for that little bit of kick
Cooking oil: I used vegetable oil because of its high smoking point, you can use any other type of cooking oil you have.
Salt and pepper
How to make a whole chicken in air fryer
Preheat the air fryer at 180C/365F for 3 to 5 minutes
To a bowl, add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper, add vegetable oil and stir to combine to form a light paste.
Pat the chicken dry with a kitchen towel, this is important so that the seasoning can stick on the bird.
Rub the seasoning on the breast side of the chicken including the legs. Carefully place the seasoned chicken breast side down in the air fryer basket (you should have the back of the chicken facing you) Then rub the remaining marinade on the back of the chicken.
Air fry the chicken for 30 minutes on 195C/385F for 30 minutes. carefully flip the chicken and continue to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165F/75C.
Remove the chicken from the air fryer basket and rest for 10 to 20 minutes before carving. Serve and enjoy.
Note: the best way to know the chicken is completely cooked is by using an instant meat thermometer. The internal temperature should read 165F/85C.
Do not leave your chicken in the air fryer after it is cooked to rest as the remaining heat from the air fryer might dry out the chicken.
What to serve with air fryer whole chicken
How to store air fryer whole chicken
Should you have any leftovers from this whole chicken, make sure it cools completely before storing in the fridge in an airtight container. As I am not a fan of eating leftover chicken, I have found reheating it in the air fryer works better for me instead of the microwave.
More air fryer recipes
What readers are saying about this recipe
Karen Evan say "Thank you! I followed your steps and recipe and it came out great! It’s been years since I’ve bought and cooked a whole chicken".
If you made this air fryer chicken recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 3.9 lb (1.8kg) Whole chicken
- ½ tablespoon Herb de Provence substitute with Italian seasoning or mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper for that little bit of kick
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil I used vegetable oil because of its high smoking point, you can use any other type of cooking oil you have.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer at 180C/365F for 3 to 5 minutes
- To a bowl, add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper, add vegetable oil and stir to combine to form a light paste.
- Pat the chicken dry with a kitchen towel, this is important so that the seasoning can stick on the bird.
- Rub the seasoning on the breast side of the chicken including the legs including the chicken cavity. Carefully place the seasoned chicken breast side down in the air fryer basket (you should have the back of the chicken facing you) Then rub the remaining marinade on the back of the chicken.
- Air fry the chicken for 30 minutes on 180C/365F for 30 minutes. carefully flip the chicken and continue to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165F/75C.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer basket and rest for 10 to 20 minutes before carving. Serve and enjoy.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!