As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Here is another beginners cake recipe for you and your little helper. This easy orange cake recipe is moist, fluffy, delicious and packed full of citrus flavour from the fresh orange juice and zest used. This is a one-bowl-cake recipe, it is quick, simple, easy and no special skills is required in making this cake.
This easy cake is not only perfect for afternoon tea alone, it is perfect for all occasions. You can enjoy it plain or frosted with buttercream and mascarpone as I did. A perfect dessert option for you and your loved ones this valentine.
I bet you are probably looking for valentines or chocolate recipe on the blog at this time of the year, well I did make a fool proof no-bake easy cheesecake and chocolate mousse for you, hopefully, they would make it here before the D-day.
In any case, I have got you with today's cake recipe and my simple cheese platter guide
Nevertheless, this simple orange cake recipe is about to be the best you’ll ever make. I already told you I am not a baker when I shared my easy vanilla sponge cake recipe with you, but what I do ensure is to make the best out of any cake I bake. Let me show you how to do it in easy steps.
Related post: Loving the idea of today's recipe already, you will surely love my chocolate cake recipe. It is simply the best even if I do say so myself.
Why this simple orange cake recipe works
Apart from my love for lemon drizzle sponge cake, this orange cake is also one of my favourites, let me share with you why I love this easy cake recipe
- This recipe requires just one bowl and a mixer. No faffing about on this one although precision is still key here as with any baking recipe.
- It is quick, easy and super simple which makes it a perfect recipe if you are new to baking cakes.
- The orange juice and orange zest in this recipe breathe a life of freshness to it which gives it a million dollars taste.
- It requires few ingredients and few baking tools. Read all about my baking tools and equipment’s in my vanilla cake recipe post.
- This recipe can be completely vegetarian by swapping the butter for vegetable oil.
- You are guaranteed moist and flavourful orange cake when you follow these simple steps below
- Lastly, it is home-made and home-made is the best!
Self-raising flour sifted
Eggs at room temperature
Butter softened. Swap for margarine
Fresh orange and orange zest
Orange essence, this is completely optional as I only used it because I had it on hand.
Baking Equipment needed
2 x 8-inch cake pans swap for a loaf tin
Filling Suggestion for Orange Cake
400g Vanilla buttercream
1 teaspoon orange extract or zest
How to Make Easy Orange Cake (The Best Orange Cake Recipe)
Preheat the oven at 180C/375F or 160C/320F for a fan oven.
Grease and line cake pan and set aside
To a large mixing bowl, add sifted self raising flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and whisk together to combine. Make a well in the middle.
Add butter, eggs, orange essence, orange juice and orange zest, using an electric mixer, beat the ingredients together on low speed until it comes together and on high speed until well combined. The whole process is less than 5 minutes.
Divide the cake batter into the prepared cake pans
Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the skewer or cake tester inserted comes out clean
Leave the cake to completely cool for about 5 minutes and turn unto a cooling rack.
Serve cake plain or with a frosting of choice and orange zest.
If using the filling suggestion: add all to a bowl and whisk until combined. Use half to sandwich the cake and spread the rest on the top of the cake, garnish with thin slices of fresh orange and zest.
Variations: to make orange drizzle cake, use 60g sugar, 60 ml orange juice and zest of one orange. Bring to boil by simmering on medium heat until sugar is completely melted.
Poke some hole into the cake and drizzle over the orange syrup. Serve and enjoy.
Make them into Cupcakes: this recipe would yield 12 cupcakes or more
Tips for Making the Best Orange Cake Ever
- Bring all your ingredients to room temperature before you use them
- Always use a preheated oven to bake the cake and ensure you use the correct temperature too
- Add the egg into a bowl one at a time in case you have a bad egg so you don’t run the risk of spoiling the whole cake mix
- Don’t have a hand mixer use a wooden spoon to incorporate the ingredients together
- Bake the cake in the middle shelf of the oven.
- Don’t oven the oven before 30 minutes
Serve a slice of this easy delicious fluffy cake with a glass of cold or warm dalgona coffee. the coffee and orange flavour are perfect match your palate would love and enjoy.
How to Store Cake
To store this yummy moist cake, wrap in clingfilm or an airtight container before storing in the fridge so it doesn’t dry out or catch the smell in your fridge.
Orange cake or any other sponge cake would last up to 5 days in the fridge. You could also leave on the kitchen counter for up to 5 days. I prefer mine in the fridge, cakes are perishable and I want to be safe than sorry.
In the freezer: make sure the cake cools down completely, cut it into desired slices and wrap individually in a clingfilm or airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
If you made this easy orange cake recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Easy Orange Cake Recipe
- hand mixer
- 250 g self-raising flour sifted
- 220 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 240 g butter softened
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon orange essence optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt just a pinch
- 400 g Vanilla buttercream
- 100 g Mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon Orange extract or zest
Baking Equipment needed
- 2 x 8 inch cake pans swap for loaf tin
- Hand mixer
- Cake tester
- Mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven at 180C/375F OR 160C/320F for a fan oven.
- Grease and line cake pan and set aside
- To a large mixing bowl, add sifted self-raising flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and whisk together to combine. Make a well in the middle.
- Add butter, eggs, orange essence, orange juice and orange zest, using an electric mixer, beat the ingredients together on low speed until it comes together and on high speed until well combined. The whole process is less than 5 minutes.
- Divide the cake batter into the prepared cake pans
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the skewer or cake tester inserted comes out clean
- Leave the cake to completely cool for about 5 minutes and turn onto a cooling rack.
- Serve cake plain or with a frosting of choice and orange zest.
Tips for Making the Best Orange Cake Ever• Bring all your ingredients to room temperature before you use them
• Always use the preheated oven to bake a cake and ensure you use the correct temperature too
• Add the egg into a bowl one at a time in case you have a bad egg so you don’t run the risk of spoiling the whole cake mix
• Don’t have a hand mixer use a wooden spoon to incorporate the ingredients together
• Bake the cake in the middle shelf of the oven.
• Don’t oven the oven before 30 minutes Please note that the nutritional value does not include the frosting.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!