Pressure cooker shredded chicken! This quick shredded chicken was cooked in an electric pressure cooker ( same as Instant pot) to perfection, it was moist and flavourful. It all came together in 10 minutes. Shredded chicken is versatile and a must in every home. This is the best way to make shredded chicken and it is quick too. Use in stir-fries, wraps, soup or salad
Pressure Cooker Shredded Chicken
This shredded chicken was one of the first meat I cooked in my electric pressure cooker and it was perfect. In fact, I made it twice in one week for barbequed shredded chicken and chicken stir fry. I was totally swooned and I haven’t looked back since.
It is handy to have shredded chicken in the fridge or freezer as it is easy and quick to put together for weeknight dinner and lunch. It is no rocket science making this chicken recipe
You won’t go back to buying shop-bought rotisserie or shredded chicken after you learn how to make this quick shredded chicken recipe. As much as there are other ways to make shredded chicken by boiling or by using the slow cooker, I find this shredded chicken in pressure cooker method (instant pot shredded chicken) to be my favourite.Jump to Recipe
Why You Need to Learn To Make This Easy Pressure Cooker Shredded Chicken
- It is quick to make. This comes together in 20 minutes from prepping to cooking.
- Very handy for many main dishes such as lunches, dinners and meal prep.
- It stores well. Yes, you can freeze a batch of this shredded chicken for up to 3 months and it keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Which is perfect to use throughout the week
- Shredded chicken is versatile and can be used in many recipes
- You only need a few ingredients to make it happen. In fact, you can season with just salt, water and pepper if you want to keep it plain.
- You can use it in any recipe that calls for cooked shredded chicken
- This is one of the best ways to use up that frozen chicken breasts that have been sitting in your freezer for a long time.
What You Need to Make Pressure Cooker Shredded Chicken (Pulled Chicken)
Chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
Dried thyme optional
How to Make Shredded Chicken In A Pressure Cooker Or Instant Pot
This is a dump and go recipe, but you may choose to season the chicken before use. This is the easiest way to make chicken in a pressure cooker.
Turn on the pressure cooker or instant pot then add the chicken breasts, seasoning, spices and broth. Cover the pressure cooker/instant pot and turn the valve to close or seal select the meat function or manual high pressure (if using an instant pot) and time for 10 minutes. Note that the 10 minutes is the active time to cook the chicken.
Once the chicken has completely cooked, carefully open the valve to slowly release the pressure then quick pressure release. Remove the lid and then transfer the chicken to a plate. Let it cool and then shred using two forks or any of the methods mentioned below.
Best Way to Shred Chicken (How to Shred Chicken)
You can shred chicken using any of the following methods.
With two forks
Stand mixer or
I always go for the first method to shred cooked chicken, as it is very practical and quick. You can make a big batch using this method within minutes and fewer dishes to wash too.Jump to Recipe
What To Make With Shredded Chicken
The list is endless but here are few ideas on how to use pressure cooker shredded chicken in recipes. Use it in soups
Barbequed pulled chicken using homemade bbq sauce or store-bought.
Pressure Cooker Chicken Tacos
Chicken quesadilla (recipe coming soon)
Use in Salad, sandwiches, casserole, pasta dishes etc
How To Store Cooked Chicken
Cooked chicken can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
When storing cooked chicken in the fridge, make sure you do so as soon as it cools down. Ideally within 2 hours of having it out because of bacteria growth. If you would be storing this in the freezer, make sure it is well wrapped or stored in an airtight container. Label it and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How Long Will Cooked Chicken Last in The Fridge
Stored leftover cooked chicken would last between 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Always keep your fridge temperature at 5C or below. Also, make sure the chicken is stored in an airtight container.
Other Pressure Cooker Recipe on The Blog
Pressure Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot
- 2 large chicken breasts substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 500 ml Chicken broth 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme optional
- ½ teaspoon cumin optional
- Turn on the pressure cooker or instant pot then add the chicken breasts, seasoning, spices and broth. Cover the pressure cooker/instant pot and turn the valve to close or seal then select the meat function or manual high pressure (if using an instant pot) and time for 10 minutes. Note that the 10 minutes is the active time to cook the chicken.
- Once the chicken has completely cooked, carefully open the valve to slowly release the pressure then quick pressure release. Remove the lid and then transfer the chicken to a plate. Let it cool and then shred using two forks.
- Use shredded chicken in meals as desired or store in the fridge or freezer for future use.
- Use any seasoning or herbs of choice
- Store leftover shredded chicken in the fridge as soon as it cools down and within 2 hours
- If you would be using frozen chicken breasts, add extra 5 minutes to the cooking time and make sure the chicken are separated before cooking
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
If you made this quick shredded chicken, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox