As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Whipped coffee or Dalgona coffee is a creamy thick frothy beverage served over warm or iced milk. It is made with instant coffee, sugar and water. This is another great way to enjoy your morning coffee, it is also a good pick me up on a gloomy day and perfect for any time of the day.
This frappe-like beverage will surely brighten your day. Let me show you how to make this iced coffee beverage at home. 5 minutes tops and you are done, the same time it would take you to put the kettle on.
This whipped coffee recipe is so popular on every social media at the minute and the first time I saw it, I had a little battle in my mind. Yeah! I was asking myself if I should join the bandwagon or not.
My mind kept saying don’t you dare waste that amount of coffee at this time when everywhere is on lockdown. More importantly, it is not summer yet, what would my excuse be?
Well, that didn’t last long as I was itching to try it. I am sure you know I gave in because here I am sharing with you the popular Tik Tok, Instagram and Facebook Dalgona coffee. Yay!
A few facts about Whipped coffee or should I say Dalgona coffee
Whipped coffee as we call it is a South Korean coffee drink, it’s been around a while but became popular thanks to Tiktok and no thanks to emergency lockdown and social distancing.
You only need 3 pantry staple ingredients to make this delicious beverage.
Whipped coffee is called Frappe in Greece (they share the same ingredients too but made differently) and beaten coffee in India (Indian Cappuccino). You can have it hot or cold, I prefer mine cold. (Talking of frappe, check my iced coffee recipe, it is a good alternative to dalgona and it doesn’t require a blender.)
It is easy and super quick to make with a thick and creamy appearance. You would be surprised your regular instant coffee has that kind of gorgeousness to it.
You can only use instant coffee for this recipe, does Nescafé or Douwe Egberts come to mind, yeah that type of coffee in your supermarket. Nothing fancy, no filtered or ground coffee here.
You need the same ratio of water, instant coffee and sugar to make this beverage. i.e equal amount of ingredients is needed
You would need a hand mixer to make this creamy whipped beverage as it makes the job quicker. Use a hand whisk if you are willing to do some handwork or add to a mason jar and shake it until it becomes frothy.
Warm or hot water
Milk: any type of milk would work for this recipe
Hand mixer or
How to make whipped coffee recipe (Dalgona coffee)
To a shallow bowl, add equal tablespoons of instant coffee, water, sugar and mix to combine
Using just one whisk of your hand mixer, whisk the dissolved coffee mixture until frothy and creamy. The coffee would become lighter in colour as you whisk.
You can also use a stand mixer for this recipe, although, I haven’t personally tried it because of the quantity this recipe calls for.
Add milk to a glass. You may add some ice if you desire. Spoon the whipped coffee on top of the milk, give it a little stir and enjoy.
Tips for making whipped coffee
- Make this recipe vegan or vegetarian by swapping cow milk for non-dairy milk like almond milk, oat milk, soya milk or cashew milk. Non-dairy milk makes this recipe healthier, especially if you would be having more than one cup a day.
- Swap granulated sugar for brown sugar, demerara sugar, coconut sugar, stevia with erythritol (never tried it personally) or maple syrup
- Use decaffeinated instant coffee to make it caffeine-free
- swap granulated sugar for granulated sweeteners like Swerve Sweetener, Confectioners, monk fruit sweetener or granulated swerve to make keto dalgona coffee.
- granulated sugar works best for this recipe to achieve a fluffy whipped result that would hold its shape for longer and it stores well too.
- whip the coffee in a bowl or a big jug like I did and not in a cup, that way there is more air circulation which would make the coffee whip properly.
How to store dalgona coffee.
Dalgona coffee would last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container or wrap a cling film over it. This beverage is not suitable for freezing.
How can I make dalgona coffee without a hand mixer: you can make whipped coffee without a hand mixer. in my case, I use small mason jars and shake until it becomes stiff and frothy.
Alternatively, use a hand whisk (the type you use to whisk eggs) or use a milk frother.
Will whipped coffee stay or last overnight: Yes, you can keep the coffee in the fridge for up to 5 days. Give it a quick whip as the coffee settles at the bottom of the froth.
Can I make whipped dalgona coffee without sugar: yes, you can, see the sugar alternatives above in the post.
What type of coffee can I use: Any Instant coffee would work for this recipe and it doesn’t have to Nescafe brand alone.
Try espresso or americano too, I have personally tried with Nescafe espresso and it worked, it didn’t form stiff peak but it worked. Instant decaffeinated coffee works for this recipe too
flavoured instant coffee works too.
My Dalgona coffee is bitter: the culprit here might be the strength of your instant coffee. You can increase the sugar and add less whipped coffee to your milk to balance things out.
Enjoy your beverage with these easy cake recipes
If you made this easy Dalgona whipped coffee recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Whipped coffee (Dalgona coffee)
- Hand mixer or
- Handheld milk frother or
- Mason jar
- 2 tablespoons Instant coffee Nescafe
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- milk of any choice
- ice optional
- To a shallow bowl, add instant coffee, water, sugar and mix to combine
- Using just one whisk of your hand mixer, whisk the dissolved coffee mixture until frothy and creamy, mousy like and stiff peak. The coffee would become lighter in colour as you whisk.
- Add milk to a glass. You may add some ice if you desire. Spoon the whipped coffee on top of the milk, give it a little stir and enjoy.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!