Learn how to bake lamb steaks in the oven with this easy recipe. Marinated lamb steak cooked in the oven until perfectly tender, moist and delicious.
All you need is a handful of ingredients and you will have the best steak dish on your dinner table.
How to cook lamb steak
There are many ways to cook lamb steak, this piece of meat is mostly cooked by grilling or pan-searing. However, today, you will learn how to cook lamb steaks in the oven using a handful of ingredients and an excellent cooking method that delivers at all times.
Cooking lamb leg steak in the oven is an excellent cooking method that ensures the piece of meat remains moist, tender, and juicy. The marinade used on the meat compliments it so well and comes together so quickly.
I didn't have to sear the steak first before baking it in the oven it is a thin cut of meat. Personally, I wouldn't use a reverse searing method to cook lamb steaks, it is either I pan fry, grill or bake it. Personally, there is no in-between when cooking this meat.
When you serve this dish to your friends and family, they will think you spent ages making it because of how delicious it tastes. The meat is unbelievably tender, moist, and full of flavor.
Why you will love this baked lamb steak recipe
Flavorful: Lamb has a unique flavor profile that sets it apart from other meats. It has a bold and rich savory taste and it takes on any marinade used on it beautifully without affecting the natural flavor of the lamb. The texture is tender and juicy, making it a perfect choice for a hearty and satisfying meal.
Simple ingredients: with just a few simple ingredients like my homemade garlic herbs seasoning and a few handfuls of ingredients seasoning, you can create a delicious marinade that enhances the natural flavors of the lamb steak. The combination of these flavors creates a delicious aroma that will make your taste buds sing.
It can be made in one pan: you can marinade this lamb in an oven-proof baking dish and place it n the fridge a few minutes before you cook it. This will make cleanup easy and a quick dinner that doesn't compromise on taste.
What you will need
- Lamb leg steaks
- Salt and black pepper
- Lamb marinade: it is made of the following ingredients
- Garlic and herb seasoning: this can storebought or homemade
- Olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- Whole grain mustard: substitute with Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
How to bake lamb steak
Preheat the oven to 200C /400F
Season the steaks: transfer the lamb steaks to a freezer bag and season with salt and black pepper
Marinate the steaks: To a small bowl, combine garlic herb seasoning, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice, olive oil and whisk until combined
Pour the marinade over the steak in the Ziploc bag, seal the bag, massage the marinade into the steak making sure the lamb is well coated. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate. Alternatively, you can leave it on the countertop if you've only just brought it out of the fridge to marinate. It is important that the meat comes to room temperature so that it cooks evenly.
Bake the steak: transfer the marinated steaks to an oven-proof baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes
Rest the steak on a plate for about 3 minutes before serving or slicing it.
Can I bake the steak with vegetables
Absolutely! That being said, you may need to cook the vegetables first and then add the lamb steaks towards the last 10-12 minutes as the veggies will take longer to cook than the meat.
How long to cook lamb stake in the oven
This will depend on how well you want the lamb steaks cooked. It will take anywhere between 12 and 20 minutes to cook the steak until tender and to your desired doneness. More importantly, the thickness of the steak will determine how long it needs to cook in the oven.
Can I bake them in foil
Yes, you can cook lamb steak in foil, season and wrap each steak in foil like a parcel and cook them until cooked to your doneness. I did that with my salmon in foil recipe, do check it out, it is the same process but with different cooking times.
Can this be made in the air fryer
Yes, all you have to do is follow the recipe above. Preheat the air fryer to 200C /400F for 5 minutes. Place the steaks in the air fryer basket in a single layer making sure they don't overlap. Cook the steaks for 5-9 minutes depending on the thickness and your desired doneness.
Lamb steak temperature
According to the USDA, the minimum internal temperature of lamb steak should be 145F/63C (medium rare) when checked with a digital thermometer.
- However, some may like it rarer than that then if that is the case cook it to an internal temperature of 140F /60C
- Medium-well, then cook it to 159F / 71C
- For Well-done then its 170F / 77C
Watch how to make it
Baked lamb steak
- 5 100g Lamb leg steaks about 3.5oz each
- Salt and black pepper
Lamb marinade ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic and herb seasoning storebought or homemade
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Tablespoon whole grain mustard sub with Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C /400F
- Season the steaks: transfer the lamb steaks to a freezer bag and season with salt and black pepper
- Marinate the steaks: To a small bowl, combine garlic herb seasoning, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice, olive oil and whisk until combined
- Pour the marinade over the steak in the Ziploc bag, seal the bag, massage the marinade into the steak making sure the lamb is well coated and. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate, alternatively, you can leave it on the countertop if you've only just brought it out of the fridge to marinate. It is important that the meat comes to room temperature so that it cooks evenly.
- Bake the steak: transfer the marinated steaks to an oven-proof baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes
- Rest the steaks on a plate for about 3 minutes before serving or slicing it.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
And there you have it, a simple and delicious lamb recipe you can make at home in 15 minutes. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox