How To Make Perfect Roast Potatoes
Perfect roast potatoes, crunchy on the outside, fluffy and moist on the inside. A great roast dinner side dish made with 3 other ingredients apart from potatoes. Let me show you how to make perfect roast potatoes at home and tips to getting it right all the time.
- 1 kg Potatoes use either Maris piper, Yukon gold, King Edward or Desiree
- 100 ml olive oil substitute with goose fat/duck fat, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil etc.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Black pepper optional
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
Peel and cut the potatoes into even sizes. One medium-size potato can be cut into 4 pieces and large potatoes to 8 pieces.
Rinse the potatoes once and transfer to a pan large enough to cook it when you add water. Add salt to the potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to parboil over medium heat between 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and leave to cool slightly.
Whilst you are waiting on the potatoes to parboil, prepare your roasting tin. Add the olive oil to the roasting tin, crushed garlic and place in the oven until you are ready to add the potatoes.
Give the spud a good shake in the colander to roughen the edges.
Sprinkle the flour and black pepper on the roughened potatoes and give a final toss to combine.
Bring out the roasting tin from the oven and carefully add the potatoes, tilt the tin to one side, scoop out some hot oil and spoon over the potatoes. Return the tin to the oven and roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, flip it once then continue to roast for another 15 minutes, turn it one final time and roast until crispy and golden for another 10 minutes. The total cooking time is between 40 to 50 minutes.
Take it out of the oven, transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with some sea salt and serve warm with other roast dinner accompaniment.
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water
- Cut the potatoes into equal sizes so they cook evenly
- Remember to preheat the oven
- Potatoes can be partially roasted if you would be making it ahead and you can complete the cooking on the day you need it.
- Store leftover in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Ensure they are completely cooled before storing.
Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1179mg | Potassium: 1062mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg