Quick Homemade Tomato Sauce
Forget store-bought tomato sauce and make yours at home in 10 minutes. This homemade tomato sauce is simple, quick, easy and versatile, more importantly, it is packed full of flavour. Perfect with pasta recipes and equals as a pizza sauce. It is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free. Let me show you how to make this sauce in simple steps.
Servings: 2 cups
- 500 g passata: substitute with canned chopped or tomato plum
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste: This is optional but it helps in enriching the colour and deepens the flavour of the sauce.
- 1 teaspoon dried basil: substitutes for fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Add passata, oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic granules, olive oil and salt into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Mix to combine and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
You may use the sauce immediately and use in your pasta dishes or leave to cool completely and use as pizza sauce.
Make this spicy by adding some chilli pepper flakes
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to tomato sauce if it is sour, this will balance the acidity in the sauce
- Puree or strain for a smooth sauce if you used chopped or plum tomatoes.
- This sauce is very easy to make but if you are making a large batch, portion into an individual airtight container or ice trays so it is easy to use as at when needed.
Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1362mg | Potassium: 1278mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1519IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 6mg