Wondering what to cook for easter besides ham? well, I have just the best and easy alternative easter dinner ideas you, your family, and your guests would love. These recipes are perfect for any time of the year and would definitely be worth your time.
Easter dinner ideas
It is that time of the year when you start planning how to make the holiday dinner special or even how to beat yourself to last year's easter dinner. Well, we've all been there, if you are like me and you haven't planned anything yet and you want to make a good impression on the family then this collection of recipes will definitely do its job. No ham in sight here and these recipe alternatives will make your easter celebration special.
These recipes are a no-brainer and you can easily source the ingredients. If you head out to the shops now, you can still make one or even a few of these delicious recipes. So no stress, keep calm, make a list and make it fun!
Easter main dishes besides ham
A little confession, I hardly or rarely cook ham, most ham you will see on my plate are mostly deli ham and I mostly use it for sandwiches. There are so many delicious Easter main dishes you can prepare that don't have to involve ham. The recipes below are easy, tried, and tested and you can be creative with is as well, you can't go wrong making any of these recipes.
Roasted leg of lamb with gravy
This is one of the most classic easter dishes out there and a great alternative to ham. You just need a good marinade that is made with simple herbs and aromatics you may likely have on hand. This recipe is 2-in-1, the delicious pan juice is turned into the best and most delicious lamb gravy you would ever make. This recipe is sure a keeper and would make an appearance again for your special occasions.
Dutch oven whole chicken with vegetables
Another classic dish that is sure to please. This one-pot wonder will give you a juicy succulent chicken and tender vegetables. If your family loves roasted chicken, this is definitely the recipe for them.
Slow roasted lamb shoulder
If you are looking for something to cook other than the traditional leg of lamb or ham, then this is the one for you. Slow-roasting will give you a tender and flavorful lamb that melts in your mouth. The flavors in this dish are incredibly delicious! The slow process also allows all the flavors to develop fully giving you an amazingly juicy and delicious roast.
Air fryer lamb chops
This is a perfect recipe for you if you are only cooking for yourself or up to 4 people. Air-frying lamb chops will give you a perfectly crisp outer layer while keeping the inside juicy and succulent. And since everything is cooked in one place, it's an easy cleanup as well!
Pesto butter salmon
This is an easy recipe and very tasty too, all you need to do is season a side of salmon with salt and pepper and smother it with homemade pesto butter then bake until cooked. This is a very healthy and delicious option for your easter dinner.
Baked pork steak
Simple ingredients but massive flavor. No cap, you will find yourself making this recipe over and over again, even after easter. It is so so good!
Baked cod with tomatoes
Another main dish you will be glad you made. It is light, fresh and healthy, more importantly, the recipe is foolproof and your oven would do most of the job for you.
Easter side dishes
No roast dinner is complete without a side dish. Here are some easter dinner ideas that you can make to accompany your main dish.
Garlic butter rice
We can all agree that garlic and butter are food marriage made in heaven and this recipe is no exception. This buttery garlic rice will make a great accompaniment to any of your main dishes.
Air fryer asparagus
Asparagus can be really boring but not with this parmesan air-fried asparagus! Cooking the asparagus in the air fryer with parmesan cheese takes the flavors up a notch making it the perfect side dish.
- Creamy garlic mashed potatoes
- Mushroom gravy
- Gravy without drippings
Roasted root vegetables
- Roasted rainbow carrots
- Boursin mashed cauliflower
- Boursin mashed potatoes
- Scalloped potatoes: this is the healthy version of the classic one
- Seasoned rice
No Easter would be complete without some delicious desserts too, here is a quick rundown of some yummy treats you can whip up in no time.
Vanilla sponge cake
This is hands-down one of the best recipes on my website and I bet you would love it too. The review does speak for itself and the recipe is actually easy and quick to make. You can even go the extra mile by adding some colorful eggs on top!
this chocolate cake is heavenly. You can double or half the recipe to suit your need. Decorate this cake with some easter eggs and Bob is your uncle. You will have people asking you for the recipe for this one.
You can serve these scones on the morning of easter or as brunch. It can be served alongside some fresh fruits and hot cross buns.
More round up recipes you should check next
16 side dish to serve with pork chops
31 quick and easy family dinner
Quick and easy pasta recipes with few ingredients
21 easy and quick boneless chicken thighs recipes
What To Cook For Easter Dinner Besides Ham
- 2 kg leg of lamb (boned in) 4lb
- 1 ½ tablespoon s Fresh spring rosemary chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Whole garlic head cut into halves reserve 1 half to use in marinade
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock substitute with vegetable or beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour or Cornflour slurry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the lamb out of the fridge one hour before prepping so it comes to room temperature. This helps the meat to cook evenly in the oven. No need to remove the fat of the meat as it adds to the overall flavour of the drippings that make the best lamb gravy ever. Prepare your roasting pan
- Preheat the oven at 190C/374F for a conventional oven or 170C/338F for a fan oven (30 minutes before roasting time is fine)
- Pat the lamb dry with a kitchen towel and score the fatty side some few times then add salt and pepper making sure you rub it all over the lamb
- Cut the head of garlic and onions into 2 and place on the prepared roasting pan (peel and reserve half of one garlic head for the marinade)
- Add rosemary, garlic cloves and olive oil to a small blender or mortar and blitz until marinade is coarse (you could finely chop the rosemary and garlic if you want)
- Rub the marinade all over the lamb including the scored bits and place it fat side up on the onions and garlic. Then add water and chicken stock to the bottom of the pan.
- Place it in the oven and roast for 1 hour, carefully take it out of the oven and turn it over to the other side and continue to roast for another 30 minutes, baste the lamb with its dripping at this time. Bring the lamb out of the oven one last time and turn it over then roast for additional 30 minutes (see notes for time and doneness)
- Carefully bring out the lamb from the oven, cover with an aluminium foil loosely and rest for at least 20 minutes before serving, the meat stays warm this way. Move on to making the gravy
- Skim off the oil from the dripping then transfer the content in the roasting pan into a sauce pan, add one cup of water or more to the roasting pan and scrape all the bits remaining in it to the pan.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and bring to boil for about 3 minutes. Whisk the flour into the sauce and mix to combine (don’t worry if there are lumps in it), add water if it is too thick. Continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until you get the desired gravy consistency. Take it off the heat
- Strain the sauce through a sieve until all the gravy is extracted. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve with lamb and other sides of choice
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
Did you cook any of these ham alternatives recipes for easter dinner? Don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on
Leave a Reply