Simple apple crumble or apple crisp as my US friends would call it is a delightful warm and comforting dessert packed full of flavour.
This is about to be the best apple crumble recipe you will ever need. It is easy, uses a handful of ingredients perfect on a cold weather. Let me show you how to make the best apple crisp in easy steps, it is as good as my vanilla sponge cake and blueberry gallate.
Simple apple crumble recipe literally the best in the whole wide world
Apple crumble is extremely easy to make, the only job here is coring and peeling the apples. You would be happy to know that you do not need to peel the skin off the apple in other to enjoy this pie.
I love me a thick and chunky layer of crumble topping to the apple itself. I am not alone on this as my family enjoys it this way also. Left to my children, they would have the crunchy crumble with ice cream alone and leave me with the apples.
For my simple apple crumble recipe, I added a good amount of cinnamon and Nutmeg but you can do without it if you are not a fan. In the absence of these warm spices, I used mixed spices instead. It gives the pie a heavenly taste, hence why I use them.
With this recipe you are promised perfectly cooked gooey apples with the right amount of syrup. There is no room for dry, watery or soggy topping. This crumble here is crispy all the way, a scoop of ice cream or custard, hmnnn, you are in dessert heaven. Oh, this recipe freezes well too.
I have perfected how to make it over the years, that I am proud to say I don’t do store bought anymore, especially since it is easy to make.
The process is straight forward too, you core and chop the apples, add spices and brown or white sugar, add to a baking dish then sprinkle over with crumble toppings made with either flour or oats and you can even have both. Which is what today’s recipe is about, yes, it’s that simple!
Ingredients to make this recipe
Apples: I like red apples but you can use any other type of apple of choice. Popular types of apples used are granny smith apples but I usually go for Fiji or gala for more sweetness
Cinnamon: about half a teaspoon
All-purpose flour: substitute for self raising flour
Butter: you can use melted butter or cold softened. I use cold butter
Light Brown Sugar
Salt: I love to add a pinch to the topping to balance the sweetness
How to make simple apple crumble in easy steps
Preheat the oven at 180C/375F and prepare the baking dish
Peel, core and chop the apples and transfer into the baking pan. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, mix to combine then add half the juice of half a lemon and stir to combine
In another bowl, combine, oat, flour, brown sugar, cold butter and a pinch of salt, rub with your fingers until your get a breadcrumbs-like consistency. Some chunks are allowed too.
Sprinkle the crumble toppings on the prepared apple fillings
Bake in an oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the the topping is crispy, golden and apple filling bubbly.
Remove from the oven, stand for a few minute and Serve with ice cream or custard.
- Check on the apple crumble after about 20 minutes and if it looks like the top is burning, cover loosely with an aluminium foil so that the apple can cook up nicely on the inside too
- I have kept the crumble topping as classic as possible but you can make it your own. Skip brown sugar for white sugar or use a mixture of both, add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to the mix for additional flavour
- in the absence of nutmeg or cinnamon, use mixed spice.
More dessert recipes
If you made this easy apple crisp recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox weekly.
Simple Apple Crumble (Apple Crisp)
- baking dish
- 6 apples
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg or as needed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or as needed
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour substitute for self-raising flour
- 1 cup porridge oat
- 125 g butter you can use melted butter or cold softened. I use cold butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar or as needed
- ¼ teaspoon Salt I love to add a pinch to the topping to balance the sweetness
- Preheat the oven at 180C/375F and prepare the baking dish
- Peel, core and chop the apples and transfer into the baking pan. Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, mix to combine then add half the juice of half a lemon and stir to combine
- In another bowl, combine, oat, flour, brown sugar, cold butter and a pinch of salt, rub with your fingers until you get a breadcrumbs-like consistency. Some chunks are allowed too.
- Sprinkle the crumble toppings on the prepared apple fillings
- Bake in an oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the topping is crispy, golden and apple filling bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, stand for a few minutes and Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!