Roasted root vegetables are an easy side dish made with a veggie medley of carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes. The vegetables are seasoned with my homemade vegetable seasoning and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven until caramelized and tender.
This recipe is not only delicious but also easy to make and can be adapted using the vegetables you have on hand.
Roasted Root Vegetable Recipe
This recipe will show you how to cook different vegetables in the oven on a sheet pan using the root vegetables you have in your kitchen. I used a combination of sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips. I also seasoned the root vegetables with my homemade seasoning.
Roasting different vegetables together in one sheet pan in the oven is a great way to create an easy side dish that is healthy and delicious. It also means you can have different textures and flavors in one dish.
You will love this recipe because it is simple and easy, it is one pan dish and can be easily customized using any root vegetable of choice. More importantly, healthy, a good source of fiber, and nutrient-packed.
These roasted root vegetables are hearty, and delicious and will be loved by your family, friends, or guests. They can be enjoyed any season and make the perfect side dish for special occasions such as holiday dinners or potlucks.
What you will need
To make one pan-roasted root vegetable you will need the following ingredients. I used equal amounts of each vegetable.
Roasted vegetable seasoning: this is made with a combination of paprika, garlic granules, onion powder, dried rosemary, thyme, chervil, and black pepper. The full ingredient list can be found in the recipe card. Alternatively, use any seasoning of your choice.
Olive oil: sub with any flavorless cooking oil of choice.
Salt and black pepper to taste
How to make roasted root vegetables
This recipe is very simple and you can even get the family to help in prepping it. It is as simple as it can get. Wash, peel, cut, season, and roast the vegetables, simple right
Preheat the oven to 190C/385F and lightly grease a nonstick rimmed baking sheet with some olive oil. Alternatively, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Start by scrubbing the sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips clean under cold running water.
Pat dry with a kitchen towel or kitchen paper towel and peel the carrots and parsnips.
Cut the sweet potatoes into small cubes and the parsnips and carrots smaller as they are harder than sweet potatoes.
Transfer the cut vegetables to the rimmed baking sheet or a large bowl in a single layer. Add the vegetable seasoning and olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Toss well so everything is evenly coated with the seasoning and oil.
Transfer the vegetables to a greased baking sheet or roasting pan, and spread them in an even layer.
Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the vegetables are caramelized and fork tender flipping halfway through the cooking time for even cooking.
Tips for roasting root vegetable medley
- Make sure to spread the vegetables in an even layer on the baking sheet so they are evenly cooked.
- You can also add other root vegetables to this recipe such as turnips, beets, onions, and rutabaga.
- Use any seasoning of your choice.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the veggies before roasting for a more intense flavor.
How to store
Store the roasted root vegetables in an airtight container or ziplock bag and they will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
What to serve it with
Enjoy these roasted root vegetables as a side dish with your favorite mains. Here are a few serving suggestions
Can this be made ahead of time
Yes, this recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Simply store the cooled roasted vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 180C/360F until warmed through. You may need to flip the veggies once or twice so that they can cook evenly.
Roasted Root Vegetable Recipe
- 1 lb carrots
- 1 lb parsnips
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon roasted vegetable seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/385F and lightly grease a nonstick rimmed baking sheet with some olive oil. Alternatively, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start by scrubbing the sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips clean under cold running water.
- Pat dry with a kitchen towel or kitchen paper towel and peel the carrots and parsnips.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into small cubes and the parsnips and carrots smaller as they are harder than sweet potatoes.
- Transfer the cut vegetables to the prepared baking sheet or a large bowl, and add the vegetable seasoning and olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Toss well so everything is evenly coated with the seasoning and oil.
- Transfer the vegetables to a greased baking sheet or roasting pan, and spread them in an even layer.
- Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the vegetables are caramelized and fork tender flipping halfway through the cooking time for even cooking.
- 1 ½ Tablespoons paprika I used a combination of smoked and sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic granules
- ½ Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ Tablespoon thyme
- ½ Tablespoon chervil sub with parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
There you have it, a simple and flavorful roasted root vegetable medly that you can make at home in 1 hour. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox