Ever wondered what spices or herbs to use on roast potatoes, well wonder no more as this tutorial will show you how to make the best roast potato seasoning you can use to season all things potato. It is simple, takes about 5 minutes to make, it is flavorful, and more importantly delicious.
Best roast potatoes seasoning recipe
This is literally the best homemade potatoes seasoning you can find on the internet. Honestly, it is everything and more you could give your spud, whether you are baking, roasting, or boiling. These five spices are flavor boosters for potatoes and you can use them on sweet potatoes as well. Oregano, thyme, parsley, garlic, and black pepper would naturally bring out the flavor of potatoes without overpowering it.
The spice blend can be customized to taste, for example, if you want some color on it then you can add paprika and for a smoky flavor, I add smoked paprika. If you want it hot, then you can add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes as much as your heart can take.
It contains no salt, as you can add this when you are preparing your potatoes. Are you ready for some well seasoned potatoes, then let's make this easy and quick herby seasoning under 5 minutes. You are only a few minutes away from making perfect well seasoned roasted potatoes.
Dry mixing bowl
Airtight spice jar
What is in my homemade potato seasoning recipe
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Garlic granules substitute with garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Freshly cracked black pepper
How to make roast potato seasoning
To a small mixing bowl or a spice jar, combine all the ingredients and mix to combine. Transfer into an airtight spice jar and store in a cool cupboard.
Tip: Give it a good shake before you use it to combine as the garlic granules may settle at the bottom of the herbs.
Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container and away from direct sunlight for up to 6 months. You can store it longer than 6 months provided the individual spices and herbs used are still within date.
How much potato seasoning to use
You can add it depending on your preference but I recommend 1 Tablespoon of the seasoning to 1 kg of potatoes, which is about 2 pounds of spud. Try the spice blend on the following roasted potato recipes
Crispy garlic butter smashed potatoes
5 tricks for crispy roast potatoes
Learn how to make your roast potatoes crispy and crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, then do the following steps. Here are my foolproof tricks for crispy well seasoned roasted potatoes
- Hot oven: Preheat your oven well ahead of time, I set it to 200-220C/425F.
- Parboil the potatoes: Add some salt to a large pan of water, add peeled potatoes, and bring to boil for about 5-6 minutes. Depending on how you have cut them, try to cut the potatoes into similar sizes and make sure not to overcook them. Drain and leave the potatoes to air dry in a colander, say 2-3 minutes.
- Shake up the potatoes to scuffle the edges: add the potatoes to a colander and shake it just until the edges are scuffled.
- Coat the potatoes with flour, semolina, or white cornmeal: this will ensure the potatoes crisp up nicely when roasted with a fluffy interior.
- Hot oil: you need to preheat the fat you choose to use. The best oil to roast potatoes is any flavorless oil with a high smoking point. I love to use goose fat, vegetable oil, or olive oil. While 10 minutes before you roast the potatoes, just before you shake them up, add the oil to a rimmed baking sheet and place it in the oven to heat up.
Lastly, baste and flip the potatoes so that they cook and crisp evenly.
How long do roast potatoes take
Roast potatoes can take an average of 40 minutes to 1 hour to bake in the oven.
Can I roast potatoes without boiling
Yes, you can roast potatoes without boiling them first, the result will be crunchy but not as crunchy as if you boiled and roasted in hot oil.
Best potatoes for roasting
Want to know which potatoes are best as roasting potatoes and are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside? You have to use floury (starchy) potatoes as they are able to shape up after they go through some cooking process. Here in the UK, Maris Piper, King Edward, and Desiree are the best options. Maris Piper is an all-rounder potato which is similar to Yukon gold, red skinned potatoes, and Russet if you are in the US.
How to store cooked potatoes?
If you have leftover cooked potatoes, then let them cool completely and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They also freeze well for up to 3 months if they are double wrapped in an airtight container or freezer bag.
To reheat, use any of these three methods: oven, air fryer, or microwave.
More DIY seasoning recipes you will love
Did you try this easy homemade roast potato seasoning recipe? Don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on
Roast Potato Seasoning
- spice jar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon garlic granules substitute with garlic powder
- ½ Tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ Tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- To a small mixing bowl or a spice jar, combine all the ingredients and mix to combine. Transfer into an airtight spice jar and store in a cool cupboard.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
Very similar to my own recipe. I was very very happy to see there was no salt in
there (thats not for health reasons) It draws the moisture from the potatoes.