Creamy instant pot macaroni and cheese! This is an easy mac and cheese recipe the whole family would enjoy. You can have this from your pressure cooker to your table in 20 minutes. It is quick, easy, flavourful, cheesy and utterly delicious.
You can serve this pressure cooker mac and cheese as it is or baked with some delicious filling of choice like shredded chicken, crispy bacon or even flaked baked salmon. No Velveeta or roux was harmed making this gooey and cheesy instant pot pasta
Instant pot mac and cheese recipe
One of the easiest one-pot meal you can make in your instant pot is pasta, all types now from macaroni to penne pasta. If you are new to an electric pressure cooker, then this pasta recipe is a way to ease yourself into using this plug and start gadget.
Today’s recipe is just like making stove top macaroni and cheese only that this is totally hands-off with instant pot and it notifies you when it is done cooking. You also do not need to drain the pasta or make a separate creamy sauce, what is not to love hey
I love the fact that you don’t have to break the bank to enjoy this recipe. it is a perfect side or main dish, a total comfort food for all seasons.
All the spices used are spot-on, this recipe uses mustard and hot sauce, but don’t worry, your mac and cheese is not going to taste mustardy or spicy as it was used to mildly flavour the dish only.
Even your fussiest eater won’t be able to say no to this homemade macaroni and cheese dinner. It is perfectly creamy, thanks to the instant pot, you would think this was made with roux. We enjoy this dish baked too with different add-ins from shrimps to crispy bacon, spinach…
Honestly, I just make this cheesy macaroni with what I can find in my fridge. Topped with breadcrumbs smoked paprika and melted butter, oh my days! It is so good.
I’m sure I am not alone about bland food, this instant pot macaroni, it is far from it. This is an easy instant pot recipe you would enjoy making over and over again. Let me show you how to make the best mac and cheese in an Instant pot pressure cooker in easy steps
Elbow Macaroni: any short pasta of choice will work too if you do not have macaroni
Evaporated milk: Full fat milk would also work here, I mostly use evaporated milk at home and semi skimmed milk. I think it is a sin to use semi skimmed milk for mac and cheese. Evaporated milk is creamy and does a better job than whole milk.
Butter: if using unsalted butter, reduce the quantity of salt you will use to cook the pasta. Best thing is to taste and adjust the salted water just before you boil the pasta.
Sriracha: you can also use any other type of hot sauce you have.
Mustard: I used English mustard, it is what is readily available for us here in the UK. You can use whole grain mustard or mustard powder.
Garlic granules or garlic powder
Smoked paprika: you only need a pinch to serve this creamy goodness, trust me, it would be worth it
Four cheese blend: my cheeses contains mozzarella cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, Maasdam and Samso cheese. You can use any melty cheese you have or your family favourites. The one type of cheese I know that won’t disappoint you is the good old sharp cheddar cheese. It is creamy and not stringy as mozzarella and the likes.
Grated parmesan cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
water; swap for low sodium chicken broth
Cheese variations for mac and cheese
Red Leicester cheese
How to make instant pot macaroni and cheese
This is about to be the best cheesy pasta you will make in your pressure cooker, right lets get to it
Add the pasta, water, garlic granules, salt and black pepper to the instant pot, stir to combine and cover the IP securely, turning the valve to the sealing position.
Turn on the instant pot, select pressure cook or the manual button, and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Carefully do a quick release when the cooking cycle is complete.
Stir the macaroni to loosen them a bit, add the evaporated milk, mustard, sriracha then stir to combine. Add the cheese(s) and stir to combine. Add more milk if the cheese is too stretchy or too thick. Season and adjust to taste until the desired consistency is achieved. Don’t worry if it is thin, the mac and cheese thicken as it cools.
What to serve with instant pot macaroni and cheese
Sloppy joes, this kids would totally enjoy this.
Meatloaf: this is the best instant pot meatloaf recipe you will ever make, bold statement but it is true
Roasted broccoli and cauliflower
- You will get the best from your cheese if you shred your block of cheese at home yourself. If using pre shredded cheese, ensure you read the package instruction. Most pre-shredded cheese contains potato starch which stops it from clumping in its package, this also doesn’t let the cheese melts easily.
- You can make this recipe with just 5 ingredients macaroni, salt, milk, garlic powder and sharp cheddar cheese.
- in addition to cheese and milk, you can also add cream cheese for more creamy mac and cheese.
- Make this recipe to your taste by using any seasoning you want but please still follow the steps mentioned in this recipe.
- Swap water for low sodium chicken broth
How to store
Mac and cheese can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Ensure that it is completely cooled before storing.
To reheat, add about 2 tablespoons of milk (or depending on the amount of leftover you have) and warm in the microwave, stirring between cooking time.
If you made this easy instant pot mac and cheese recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot
- 500 g about 1 pound and a handful Elbow Macaroni
- 4 cups water or just enough to cover the pasta
- 1 cup Evaporated milk or as needed
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or as needed
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard substitute with mustard powder or wholegrain mustard
- ½ tablespoon garlic granules or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika: you only need a pinch to serve this creamy goodness trust me, it would be worth it
- 4 cups shredded cheese see note for the types of cheese used
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add the pasta, water, garlic granules, salt and black pepper to the instant pot, stir to combine and cover the IP securely, turning the valve to the sealing position.
- Turn on the instant pot, select pressure cook or the manual button, and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Carefully do a quick release when the cooking cycle is complete.
- Stir the macaroni to loosen them a bit, add the evaporated milk, mustard, sriracha then stir to combine. Add the cheese(s) and stir to combine. Add more milk if the cheese is too stretchy or too thick. Season and adjust to taste until the desired consistency is achieved. Don’t worry if it is thin, the mac and cheese thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #THEDINNERBITE OR TAG @THEDINNERBITE ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!
Leave a Reply