Cold brew coffee recipe! Today’s post will show you all you need to know about making cold brew coffee at home without any expensive gadgets and tips on how to make the best. It is easy to make and super affordable and better than store-bought. Let me show you how to make it in simple steps.
Cold brew coffee recipe
Did you know you do not need a special skill to make the best cold brew coffee and you do not need a fancy gadget too. Today’s post is hardly a recipe but a guide to making the cold brew that is smooth, light, with little to no acidity, and not bitter.
If you are looking for a good kick to start your day, with the right amount of caffeine then cold brew is the way. It is perfect for the hot weather but can be heated for the cold weather if you prefer. Every coffee lover should have a jar of cold brew in their fridge at all times.
This recipe will show you how to make Starbucks iced coffee at home with a cold brew for half the price.
Why I love to make my own
- The major reason I like cold brew coffee apart from the fact that it is smooth tasting is that I never have to add sugar or any other sweetener to it. Nothing beats the refreshingly sweet taste of a perfectly made cold brew.
- The world is my oyster as I can make all kinds of iced coffee recipes at home for half the fraction it would cost me if I went to Starbucks or my local café.
- Make a big batch that would last for up to week
- It can be enjoyed hot or cold. As mentioned earlier, if it is a cold morning, I put a glass of the cold brew in the microwave to heat up and this doesn’t alter the taste too.
- Coffee stepped in cold water tastes better and less bitter than the one made with hot water.
Tools needed to make cold brew coffee at home like a pro
Coffee grinder: this does not have to be expensive at all, my coffee grinder is less than £30 (about $40), I have owned it for over 3 years now and it keeps serving its purpose. Alternatively, grind your coffee at the shop but make sure it is done to the right texture.
Cheesecloth: this stops coffee granules from escaping into the drink
Strainer: a small hole sieve works best here.
Jar with a tight lid: you can use a French press if making a small batch
How to make cold brew coffee at home
Start by measuring out 1 cup of coffee bean of choice, then grind it in a coffee grinder until the texture is coarse. This would yield about 1 cup of ground coffee. Also, grind the coffee bean in batches if need be.
Transfer the coarsely ground coffee into a jar then fill it with 4 cups of cold water, give it a gentle stir so that the granules are wet then cover it with its lid. (you can also use filtered or still water)
Leave it to sit in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours to steep and infuse.
Strain the coffee, dilute concentrated accordingly, serve and enjoy!
Note: for every ¼ cup of coarsely ground coffee use 1 cup of water. The end result will be a little less than a cup of cold brew as the ground coffee also absorbs the water as it infuses.
How to strain cold brew coffee
you can strain stepped cold brew coffee 3 ways at home using these simple methods.
French press method: pour the mixture into a French press and plunge
Strainer and cheesecloth: place the strainer with a small home on a container, then place the cheesecloth in the sieve. Pour the cold brew through the strainer and let it do its thing.
Filter paper: this is my least favorite way of doing it, while it keeps out coffee sediments out from the cold brew, it does take longer to stain. Still using a small hole sieve-like above, place a thin filter paper in the sieve, pour the cold brew through it and let it strain without any interruption.
How to store
It would keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks but I recommend 1 week for a great and better-tasting brew.
Tips for success
- Grind the coffee beans coarsely and not fine. See photo for reference
- If you like yours sweetened then try my homemade vanilla syrup for coffee, it blends perfectly into the drink without waiting for the sugar to dissolve.
- Adjust the coffee to water ratio to suit your need but be careful not to overdo it. Drinking neat iced cold brews might have a negative impact on your body.
- Do not be in a rush to strain the coffee, leave it to steep for 18 to 24 hours for the best result.
- In case you are wondering how to clean your cheesecloth afterwards, don’t worry I have got you. Simply soak it in soapy water with about a capful of bleach for a few hours then rinse clean under cold running water. Dry as usual and no, it would not smell like bleach.
How long does cold brew need to steep
The rule of thumb is for 12 hours but if you want a more concentrated brew then 24 hours is best.
What makes a perfect iced coffee ratio
Depending on how concentrated and strong tasting you kike your coffee, a good ratio to use is 1 part coffee concentrate, 1 part water, and some ice.
Best way to drink cold brew coffee
Cold brew coffee can be enjoyed according to preference with or without ice, since it is already sweet, there may not be a need for any additional sweetener. If you like a milky coffee then go ahead and add any milk of choice. For best
Can you brew cold coffee with cold water?
Yes, you can use cold water directly from the fridge or tap. If you are feeling generous, then a good cold filtered water is best used.
How to make strong cold brew coffee
The strength of the coffee bean and the water ratio used will determine how strong your cold brew will turn out. It is best to avoid blonde ground coffee for cold brew, use a medium to dark roast, anything from strength 3 will work fine.
How long does Starbucks brew their cold brew
20 hours! slow steeping in cool water, this is according to the information on their website.
Watch how to make it
More recipes to use with cold brew
Remember to dilute your concentrated cold brew accordingly for these recipes. Only add sugar pr sweetener if you need to.
Enjoy Irish coffee all year round.
Make coffee cubes for more intense flavor and less watered-down iced coffee.
If you made this recipe at home using this guide, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
How To Make Cold Brew Coffee At Home
- 1 cup medium to dark roast coffee beans
- 4 cups cold water
- Measure out coffee beans of choice, then grind in a coffee grinder until the texture is coarse. This would yield about 1 cup of ground coffee.
- Transfer the coarsely ground coffee into a jar then fill it with 4 cups of cold water, give it a gentle stir just enough to get the granules wet, then cover it with its lid.
- Leave it to sit in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours to steep and infuse beautifully.
- Strain the coffee through a small hole sieve and cheesecloth, transfer it into an airtight jar and, store it in the fridge for up to one week. Dilute concentrated coffee with water accordingly, serve and enjoy!Note: for every ¼ cup of coarsely ground coffee use 1 cup of water. The end result will be a little less than a cup of cold brew as the ground coffee also absorbs the water as it infuses.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.