These Easy Baked Chicken Drumsticks with dry rub is a perfect chicken recipe for entertaining, great finger food for children and it only requires 5 key ingredients.
It is quick, simple to make, and no marination is needed. Enjoy these easy oven-baked drumsticks with another side dish of choice, serve it with this creamy pasta salad, sauteed peas or watermelon feta salad.
All you need to make these easy-baked chicken drumsticks are a handful of pantry staple spices. This chicken drumstick doesn’t require marinating. All you need do is gather the 5 core ingredients together, mix and rub it on the chicken then bake in the oven.
You can either choose to bake (roast) or grill, whatever you choose to do with these chicken drumsticks, you can never go wrong.
I am not a lover of chicken skin, but I make an exception when I make these dry rub chicken drumsticks or chicken wings.
My family loved and happily ate these chicken legs. It is just beautiful. Juicy, tender, and flavor-packed. Let me show you how to make it in simple steps.
Why I Love This Recipe
- It is quick and simple to make and with just five key ingredients, what’s not to love?
- You don’t need to marinate these chicken drumsticks and that makes it a perfect dinner recipe the whole family would love.
- This recipe is oil-free, it is healthy because it is oven-baked.
- Do you own an air fryer? cool as this chicken cooks faster in the little gadget than it would in the oven. Cook on 180C/365F for 30 minutes Check my air-fried honey soy drumsticks for inspiration.
The Best Chicken Drumsticks Marinade Ingredients Ever
Trust the ingredients below with your chicken drumsticks and thank me later. This dry spice rub would work for other chicken parts as well, you might need to adjust the recipe to accommodate the size of chicken you will be using
Paprika: I used smoked paprika but you can also use any other type of paprika you have at hand
Mixed herbs: substitute with Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cayenne pepper for that extra kick.
How To Make Easy Oven-baked Chicken Drumsticks
This is a simple 3 steps recipe
Preheat the oven at 200C/400F
To a small mixing bowl, combine smoked paprika, mixed herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, then mix together. Coat chicken drumsticks with the dry rub when you are to bake.
Arrange the drumsticks on a baking rack in a single layer over a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray/ olive oil. Alternatively, arrange on a lined baking tray with an aluminium foil or parchment paper.
And bake to perfection. i.e until golden brown and no longer pink in the middle.
Serve and enjoy with other sides of choice.
How Long To Bake Chicken Drumsticks At 375
Typically, drumsticks bake in the oven quicker than any other parts of the chicken. More importantly, the size of the chicken determines how long you bake the chicken. Also, the type of oven used would also play a factor in how long your chicken would bake for.
Bake these chicken drumsticks at a high temperature of 375F/190C between 35 to 45 minutes. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes then flip sides and continue baking for another 15 to 25 minutes (this step is optional as you can cook chicken drumstick in the oven without the need to flip it).
Alternatively, cook chicken legs according to the instruction on the packet. No matter how long you decide to bake your chicken for, ensure that it is cooked through and no longer pink.
Check for the doneness of the chicken by opening one up and if it no longer pink and clear water runs through it, then it is cooked. You can also use a meat thermometer and the internal chicken temperature should read 165F/74C
Watch how to make it
What To Serve With Chicken Drumsticks?
These are my favorite ways of serving these delicious, juicy, and flavorful chicken legs. I pair them with this simple spicy couscous (Recipe coming soon)
How to store
This recipe is great for meal prep and will remain fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
In the fridge: make sure the chicken is completely cooled before transferring it to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: simply warm in the microwave for a few seconds, alternatively reheat in the oven at 180C/365F until warm to liking.
Other Recipes On The Blog
Easy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- baking tray, oven
- 2.2 lb Chicken drumsticks between 10 to 12 pieces
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- salt or according to preference
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 200C/400F then line a baking tray with a parchement baking paper or an aluminium foil.
- Pat chicken dry with a kitchen paper towel (this is an important step you shouldn’t skip for crispy skin)
- To a small mixing bowl, add smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, mixed herbs, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to a large bowl or large Ziploc, pour over the dry rub then rub the spices into the chicken drumsticks ensuring you coat it well.
- Arrange the chicken drumsticks on a single layer on a lined baking sheet (if using alluminium fo, spary sparingly with cooking spray so that the chicken does not stick) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden bown and cooked through. (the best way to check the doneness of chicken is by using an instant meat thermometer. the internal temperature of cooked chicken should register 165F/74C) Rest the chicken for 5 minutes before serving with any other side of choice.
- Use any chicken parts of choice and adjust cooking time or simply cook according to the instructions on the chicken package.
- There is no need to wash the chicken
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
This recipe was originally published in September 2019. It has now been updated with new photos and video. A slight adjustment was made to the recipe to make it sugar free.