As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Easy homemade vegetable soup with carrots, swede, potatoes, peas, broccoli, tomatoes and sweet corn. This simple chunky vegetable soup recipe is not only healthy and hearty it is delicious and comforting and super filling too. Let me show you how to make the best homemade vegetable soup recipe you would hold to heart forever. I have also included tips on how to make it in the slow cooker or Instant pot (pressure cooker)
This low-calorie vegetable soup recipe is only less than 300 calories per serving and it’s a perfect recipe for the winter months. Truth be told, I eat soup any time of the year, but it tastes better and more comforting in this cold period. Imagine the warmth of eating this nutritious simple veggie soup in front of the fireplace (Not that I own a real one, but I do in front of my artificial fireplace). I see you dipping some crusty or cheesy bread in this delicious veggie soup. Also, this easy homemade vegetable soup is a good way to incorporate your five a day into your meals.
This vegetable soup is so easy to make, and it tastes more delicious when left to simmer on low heat. I do this when time is not of the essence. Alternatively, I make this soup in my trusted pressure cooker as it would only take 3 minutes active cooking time. If you own a crockpot (slow cooker), then you can throw most of the ingredients in it and go about your way doing your thing. Most soups taste better the next day, but this vegetable soup takes the hat. It is so good, I mostly serve mine with plain toast or my famous garlic bread baguette.
Facts and why I love this easy homemade vegetable soup
Firstly, one thing you can’t take away from this delicious recipe is how easy and simple it is.
I used carrot, swede, potatoes, tomatoes, frozen peas and sweet corn but you can use any handy veggie of choice. It is a great way of using up leftover vegetables in the fridge or any other seasonal veggies.
This comforting vegetable soup is perfect for all-season
It is inexpensive but that doesn’t reflect on the taste and the flavour wasn’t compromised too
Are you vegetarian or vegan, this recipe can be adapted to any dietary need. I used chicken broth, so to make it vegan or vegetarian, use vegetable broth or stock cubes.
This soup keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days and it freezes well too. what is not to love?
What You Would Need to Make This Soup
You would need the following ingredients to make this delicious and comforting soup
Chopped tomatoes, substitute with tomato paste or use both.
Chicken broth/stock, substitute with vegetable stock or broth
Salt to taste
Chilli pepper flakes
How to make easy homemade vegetable soup
The only time spent on making this soup is prepping the vegetable. For chunky vegetable soup, cut the vegetables into big but manageable chunks otherwise, cut it into smaller bite sizes. Swap the prepping time in half by using pre-cut vegetable. In my case, I used a pre-cut vegetable mix. I mean why not, and it cost less than £2 for 2kg.
Start by sweating the onions in oil until translucent
Then add the chopped carrots, swede, potato to the sweated onions. Stir to combine and continue to stir fry for another 2 minutes
Add the dried herbs and spices and mix to combine
Followed by the chopped tomatoes, then pour in the chicken stock to the vegetables, stir to combine. Cover the pot with its lid, place over medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
At this point, the vegetables should be tender but still firm and holding their shapes. Add the broccoli florets and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat and stir in the frozen peas and sweetcorn. Check for salt and seasoning and adjust to taste. Turn off the heat after 1 minute and serve the vegetable stew warm with crusty bread of choice.
Vegetable Soup Variations
- Swap the herbs and spices used in this vegetable soup for my homemade taco seasoning, curry powder or Italian seasoning. In short, use the spices you fancy and are comfortable with.
- Add any other veggies of choice like celery, parsnip, leeks etc
- Blend everything together to make soup puree and you can even add cream for a creamy texture.
- Add some pasta like macaroni, pasta bow or any other pasta of choice.
- Skip the addition of tomatoes if you want or use tomato paste instead of chopped tomatoes.
- Make chunky vegetable soup by cutting the vegetable into bigger chunks.
- Add any protein of choice like chorizo, chickpeas, kidney beans, shredded chicken, ground beef or turkey. You can even use chunky diced ham.
How To Make Vegetable Soup In Crock Pot
You can make this soup in the slow cooker. It is so easy, and you don’t have to be going back and forth to stir it. simply add all the ingredients except the frozen peas and sweetcorn into the slow cooker, stir to combine and cook on low heat between 4 to 6 hours or on high heat for 3 hours. 30 minutes to the end of the cooking, add the frozen peas and sweet corn and stir to combine.
How to Make This Easy Vegetable Soup in Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)
Here is how to make this delicious soup in a pressure cooker (instant pot). First, start by sautéing the chopped onions until soft and translucent, add the chopped vegetables except frozen peas and sweetcorn then stir to combine. Add the chopped tomatoes (tomato paste if using) then cover with the chicken stock and mix to combine.
Cover the pressure cooker with its lid securely and select the high-pressure function. Set the timer to 3 minutes and after the timer counts down, do a slow release. Finally stir in the frozen peas and sweetcorn, check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly. Leave the soup to stand for another minute or two before serving. This would allow the peas and sweetcorn thaw naturally in the soup.
Can You Make Vegetable Soup Without Tomatoes?
Yes, you can make this vegetable soup without tomatoes especially if you intend to blend the soup rather than having it chunky.
How to serve this soup
You can serve this vegetable soup on its own or with plain toast or some crusty bread. I have the perfect garlic bread recipe for you. It is easy and only takes about 10 minutes to make.
Other Easy Soup Recipes You Might Like
Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup
- large pot
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup swede chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 2 cups potatoes chopped
- 400 g chopped tomatoes substitute with 2 tablespoons tomato paste or use both
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 litre chicken broth/stock
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon chilli pepper flakes or more
- Start by sweating the onions in oil until translucent
- Then add the chopped carrots, swede, potato to the sweated onions. Stir to combine and continue to stir fry for another 2 minutes
- Add the dried herbs and spices and mix to combine
- Followed by the chopped tomatoes, then pour in the chicken stock to the vegetables, stir to combine. Cover the pot with its lid, place over medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- At this point, the vegetables should be tender but still firm and holding their shapes. Add the broccoli florets and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the frozen peas and sweetcorn. Check for salt and seasoning and adjust to taste. Turn off the heat after 1 minute and serve the vegetable stew warm with crusty bread of choice.
Cover the pressure cooker with its lid securely and select the high-pressure function. Set the timer to 3 minutes and after the timer counts down, do a slow release. Finally stir in the frozen peas and sweetcorn, check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly. Leave the soup to stand for another minute or two before serving. This would allow the peas and sweetcorn thaw naturally in the soup. Tips:
- Use any vegetable or seasonal vegetable of choice.
- add any protein of choice to suit your dietary nee, chicken, tofu, ham, vegetarian sausages etc
- add splash of cream and blend till smooth to make creamy vegetable soup.
- adjust salt and seasoning to suit your taste.
- Use any herbs and seasoning of choice like italian seasoning, curry powder, taco seasoning etc
If you made this vegetable soup recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox