This is a step-by-step guide on how to make crispy baked chicken thighs! This is the best and only recipe you would need to make oven-baked crispy chicken thighs. With minimal preps, effort, and a handful of ingredients, you will get a tender, moist, juicy chicken with crispy skin.
Crispy baked chicken thighs recipe
Chicken thigh is my favorite cut of chicken to cook. It's always moist and flavorful, and it turns out crispy in the oven without the need to broil. As I'm sure you know, chicken thighs are by far the most forgiving piece of poultry. Even if it's slightly overcooked, a juicy and moist meal is still guaranteed!
This simple and healthy recipe is so easy. It takes less than 5 minutes to prep and calls for 6 everyday spices and herbs. This recipe is versatile and can be served on any day of the weeknight.
You will love this recipe as it is economical, packed full of flavor, versatile, and loved by the whole family. More importantly, this recipe is handsfree simply season the chicken, pop it into the oven, and let it do all the work, no flipping necessary!
You can also cook this chicken in an air fryer, not only will it cut down on the cooking time but it will also help to make the skin even crisper.
What you will need
To make these juicy and tender crispy chicken thighs, you would need the following ingredients
Chicken thighs: I used bone in skin on chicken thighs for this recipe
Smoked paprika: sub with regular paprika
Italian seasoning: sub with herbs de Provence or any other dried herbs of your choice.
Olive oil: this is my preferred oil for cooking but you can always substitute it with any flavorless cooking oil of choice.
Salt and black pepper
How to make crispy baked chicken thighs
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
Trim off any excess hanging skin and fat from the thighs and pat dry with a kitchen paper towel. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic granules, salt, and black pepper and mix to combine.
Drizzle the olive oil on the chicken, then add the seasoning, reserving about ½ a Tablespoon.
Mix the seasoning with the chicken, making sure to coat each and every piece of chicken evenly.
Place the chicken thighs on the baking sheet/dish skin side up in a single layer and sprinkle the reserved seasoning on top of the chicken.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through, and the internal temperature reads 165F/74C.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
What to serve with crispy baked chicken thighs
There are many delicious side dishes that would go well with this recipe, here are some of my favorites for inspiration.
How to store
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container. It can also be frozen in the freezer for up to three months.
Watch how to make it
- Make sure to pat dry the chicken thighs before seasoning, this will help the spices to stick and absorb more flavor into the chicken. There is no need to marinate the chicken, however, if time is not of the essence, you can marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe however it will not get as crispy as bone in skin on thighs. Also, you will have to reduce the cooking time accordingly.
- If you want even crispier skin, you can finish the chicken off under the broiler for a few minutes.
- The size and thickness of the thighs will determine how long you will cook it, if you own a meat thermometer then check that the internal temperature registers 165F/74C before consumption. In the absence of a thermometer, cut the chicken into near the bone, it should be opaque and there should be no blood in sight.
- You can bake the chicken thighs on a baking rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet for proper air circulation. However, I prefer to bake mine in a baking dish as the pan juice keeps the fleshy part of the chicken super moist and flavorful.
Can I use frozen chicken thighs
Yes, you can bake frozen chicken thighs in the oven, however, you will have to increase the cooking time by about 10 minutes or more depending on the size. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken registers at 165F/74C before serving. For an even crispier skin, finish off under a preheated broiler for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
More bone-in chicken thighs you will love
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- 7 Chicken thighs about 2.2lb (1kg)
- ½ Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ Tablespoon onion powder
- ½ Tablespoon garlic granules
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Trim off any excess hanging skin and fat from the thighs and pat dry with a kitchen paper towel. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic granules, salt, and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Drizzle the olive oil on the chicken then add the seasoning reserving about ½ a Tablespoon.
- Mix the seasoning with the chicken making sure to coat each and every piece of chicken evenly, get under the skin if you are able to.
- Place the chicken thighs on the baking sheet/dish skin side up in a single layer and sprinkle the reserved seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through, with crispy skin and the internal temperature, read 165F/74C.Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
There you have it, a simple chicken dinner that you can make at home under an hour. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox