This bang bang chicken is a simple pan-fried crispy panko breaded chicken piece tossed in homemade bang bang sauce. it packed full of flavor, easy and quick to make, and seriously delicious. Serve it as an appetizer or part of a main meal.
While this recipe is pan-fried, it can be oven-baked or air fried to make it healthier. See instructions on how to make it below. This is a good 30-minutes chicken recipe you will love and I bet is about to be a family favorite too.
Bang bang chicken recipe
Here in the UK, bang bang chicken is cooked differently, boneless chicken breast or thighs smashed then tossed in peanut, ginger, and soy sauce-based sauce.
Today’s recipe is a little different from the Chinese classic, it is Americanised, making it easily accessible to all. It is easy and quick and perfect for a busy weeknight or as an appetizer.
What you need to make it
First, you will need to make bang bang sauce and store it in the fridge until needed. Here is the list of ingredients in the sauce
Sweet chili sauce
For the breaded chicken, you’ll need the following ingredients
Boneless skinless chicken breast pieces
Panko breadcrumbs: substitute with regular breadcrumbs
Buttermilk: this can be store-bought or homemade
Salt and white pepper, substitute for black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
How to make bang bang chicken
To a large mixing bowl combine, buttermilk, egg, AP flour, cornflour, sriracha, salt, and white pepper and whisk to combine until lump-free.
Add the chicken pieces to the buttermilk marinade and mix to combine, set it aside and make the breading mixture.
In another shallow bowl, combine, panko breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, onion granules, a pinch of salt, and white pepper to season and mix to combine.
Heat up about ¾ cup of vegetable oil on medium-high heat
Working on one chicken piece at a time, dredge the chicken into the seasoned panko breadcrumbs (you can coat a few at a time and place on a plate so that you can fry in batches)
Fry the breaded chicken for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side (depending on the size) or until golden brown and crispy. Repeat the process until you have exhausted the chicken pieces. Transfer the pan-fried chicken to a kitchen towel to drain excess oil. toss the chicken pieces with some bang bang sauce as desired or drizzle over the chicken. Serve and enjoy!
Instructions on how to make it in the oven
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat the oven at 200C/400F
Place the coated chicken pieces on the tray in a single layer, spray with cooking oil and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy, golden brown and the inside is no longer pink
Toss with the sauce as desired, serve and enjoy!
Air fryer bang bang chicken instructions
Preheat the air fryer at 180C/365F for 4 minutes then spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil
Arrange the pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink.
Toss or drizzle the bang bang sauce on the chicken as desired. Serve and enjoy!
What to serve it with
- Regardless of the cooking method, you choose to cook the bang bang chicken, ensure you do not overcrowd the oil, baking pan, or air fryer basket to avoid soggy breading.
- Cut the chicken pieces into similar sizes (about 1 inch) for even cooking
- Adjust the hot sauce to taste, this recipe uses 1 ½ tablespoon and it might be too hot for some.
- Double or triple the recipe to suit your need.
- Discard any leftover panko mix if you have dipped chicken into it. In other to avoid wastage, use half of the breading mixture at a time and adjust accordingly. Any unused seasoned breading can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
How to store
If you do have leftovers or plan to use this chicken as meal prep, ensure it cools completely then transfer into a bowl. Store in the fridge for up to 3 day
More easy chicken recipes for dinners or appetizers
If you made this breaded chicken recipe with the delicious sauce recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes to your inbox
Bang Bang Chicken Recipe
bang bang sauce ingredients
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
Breaded chicken ingredients
- 1 lb Boneless skinless chicken breast pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk this can be store-bought or homemade
- 1 ½ tablespoon sriracha
- 1 Egg
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs substitute with regular breadcrumbs
- Salt and white pepper to taste substitute with black pepper
- ¾ cup vegetable oil for frying
- To a mixing bowl, combine the bang bang sauce ingredients together until well combined, cover with a plastic wrap (cling film) and store in the fridge until needed
- To a large mixing bowl combine, buttermilk, egg, AP flour, cornflour, sriracha, salt, and white pepper and whisk to combine until lump-free.
- Add the chicken pieces to the buttermilk marinade and mix to combine, set it aside and make the breading mixture.
- In another shallow bowl, combine, panko breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, onion granules, pinch of salt and white pepper to season and mix to combine.
- Heat up about ¾ cup of vegetable oil on medium high heat
- Working on one chicken piece at a time, dredge the chicken into the seasoned panko breadcrumbs (you can coat a few at a time and place on plate so that you can fry in batches)
- Fry the breaded chicken for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side (depending on the size) or until golden brown and crispy. Repeat the process until you have exhausted the chicken pieces. Transfer the pan fried chicken to a kitchen towel to drain excess oil. Place the chicken into a bowl and toss with some bang bang sauce as desired or drizzle over the chicken. Serve and enjoy!PS: the internal temperature of cooked chicken should read 165F/73C on an instant meat thermometer
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.