This baked apple slices with cinnamon is easy, quick, healthy, and delicious. it is packed full of fall flavors you will love. Best of all, it requires very little cleanup and it is simple to make.
I like to serve it hot with vanilla ice cream, custard, or yogurt when I am feeling super healthy. Let me show you how to make it with my step by step guide
Homemade baked apple slices recipe
If you are looking for an easy, healthy, and delicious fall dessert this baked apple recipe is just what you have been searching for.
This recipe is a definition of short and sweet. The apple slices are baked to keep their shape, yet tender when you bite into it. You can eat the baked apple slices as it is without any accompaniment or you can serve it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, custard, or caramel sauce.
You won't be breaking a sweat making these apple slices and it is just a two-step recipe. if you are just planning to eat this on your own, you can do so by making it in the air fryer or the microwave. I will share the instructions below so you can easily make it your way.
Related post: if you love apple desserts then you will love my classic apple crumble recipe. it is super easy and sinfully delicious.Jump to Recipe
This is why you will love this recipe .
- A quick and simple dessert that does not take too much time or effort, 10 minutes prep and you only need a handful of ingredients. cleanup is easy too!
A healthy dessert that satisfies your sweet cravings without all the calories
- Flavorful treats to enjoy on a cold day and it is perfect for kids and adults alike.
- you can eat it as a snack or dessert.
- It Can be made in the microwave or air fryer so you don't have to heat up your kitchen with the oven.
- A great recipe for the entire family and it is perfect for entertaining
- Apples can be found all year round in all supermarkets so you can eat this all year round. we can't forget that it is healthy too, apples are packed with nutrients fiber, vitamin c, potassium.
this recipe is
- low-carb dessert
- vegetarian and can be made vegan if you substitute the butter with vegan butter or coconut oil
Tools you will need.
- A sharp knife, an apple corer, and a cutting board
- baking dish
- mixing bowl
What you will need to make it.
you will need the following ingredients to make this perfect fall dessert
Apples: you can use any type of apple for this recipe from red to green, from tart to sweet. I love to use a combination of granny smiths and Honeycrisp apple.
Brown sugar: you can use either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar depending on your preference.
Cinnamon: perfect fall addition spice, the aroma just warms your heart
Butter: I like using slightly salted butter but you can use unsalted butter so you can control the amount of salt you add to the overall dish
Lemon juice: freshly squeezed lemon juice only
Cornflour(cornstarch): to make this gluten-free substitute the cornflour with arrowroot
water to make cornflour slurry
How to make baked apple slices
preheat the oven at 180C/365F, melt the butter in the microwave, and set aside.
wash and dry the apples, core, and cut them into thin slices or bite-size cubes. no need to peel the apples.
transfer the sliced apples to a baking dish, add lemon juice, melted butter, and mix to combine. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, add water to the cornstarch and mix to make a slurry then pour it over the apples then stir to combine.
cover the baking sheet loosely with tinfoil and place it in the oven (middle shelf)
bake the apple slices for 20 -25 until tender and caramelized on the side. remove the tinfoil halfway through the cooking time
Serve immediately whilst it is still hot with icecream, custard, whipped cream or as desired.
Air fryer instructions
Preheat the air fryer at 180C/360F for 5 minutes or according to your air fryer
you will need a heatproof baking pan that will fit in like the one I used for my air fryer shrimps in the air fryer basket.
follow steps 1 - 3 of the oven instructions
bake the apples in the air fryer at 180C/360F for 10 to 15 minutes or fork tender.
To make microwave apple slices, you will need a microwave-safe dish.
You can slice the apples into the microwave dish directly for easy cleaning up
Add the spices, melted butter, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry, and sugar to the apple
Microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes stirring once halfway through the cooking time. handle the bowl with care as it would be hot. serve immediately.
Best apples for baking
I love making baked apple recipes with a combination of tart and sweet apples. for this recipe, I used granny smith and Honeycrisp apples. I love these two types of apples because of their tart and sweet flavor.
The texture is also perfect for this recipe as they become very tender yet holding their shape when baked. other types of apples great for baking include Golden delicious, pink lady, Braeburn, and gala.
Tips for making apple slices
- Add a pinch of salt to the apples to balance out the sweetness but omit this if using salted butter already.
- While baking, I like to cover the dish with aluminum foil to prevent the apple slices from burning on the top and remove it halfway through so that the apples can have caramelized finish on top.
- To make baked apple a healthy snack, serve it on its own or with yogurt instead of ice cream, caramel sauce, or custard.
What to serve with baked apples
here are some of the ways I like to serve baked apples.
I like to serve it with homemade caramel sauce or vanilla ice cream, whipped cream. I also like pairing this with yogurt. you can also serve this with custard or sour cream too.
How to store baked apple slices
Fridge: store the baked apple slices in an airtight container in the fridge. they will keep fresh for about 3 days if stored properly. Make sure it cooled completely before storing it away
Freezer: place the apple slices into an airtight container or Ziploc freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
To reheat: Thaw at room temperature or overnight in the fridge or warm using the microwave.
Watch how to make it
What is the difference between baked apples and apple pie?
baked apple pie is made with whole pieces of apple or sliced apples that are cooked in cinnamon and various spices in an oven until fork-tender. apple pie consists of seasoned baked chopped apples enclosed in pastry casing, they can be made into hand pies too.
What is in apple pie spice
This is also known as mixed spice, apple pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger. it can be easily made at home or you could buy it from the store where other spices are sold.
Can I make apple slices without sugar?
Yes, you can omit the sugar. to make it healthier, use maple syrup or honey in place of brown sugar. but you will need to adjust the cooking time as maple syrup and honey caramelize faster than brown sugar. you can also make it with coconut sugar for a more caramelized flavor.
How long does it take for apples to cook in the oven
it usually takes about 15-20 minutes in the oven. depending on the size of the apple slices, cooking time may vary. so start checking the apples after 15 minutes.
How long to bake apples at 400F
Depending on the thickness of the apples and the quantity you are baking, bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
More dessert recipes
If you made this super easy baked apple slices recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me @thedinnerbite on
Baked Apple Slices Recipe
- 5 Apples I used a combination of granny smiths and Honeycrisp apple.
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ Tablespoon mixed spice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- preheat the oven at 180C/365F, melt the butter in the microwave, and set aside.
- wash and dry the apples, core, and cut them into thin slices or bite-size cubes. no need to peel the apples.
- transfer the sliced apples to a baking dish, add lemon juice, melted butter, and mix to combine. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, add water to the cornstarch and mix to make a slurry then pour it over the apples then stir to combine.
- cover the baking sheet loosely with tinfoil and place it in the oven (middle shelf)
- bake the apple slices for 20 -25 until tender and caramelized on the side. remove the tinfoil halfway through the cooking time
- serve immediately whilst it is still hot with icecream, custard, whipped cream or as desired.
Air fryer instructions
- Preheat the air fryer at 180C/360F for 5 minutes or according to your air fryer
- you will need a heatproof baking pan that will fit in like the one I used for my air fryer shrimps in the air fryer basket.
- follow step 1 - 3 of the oven instructions
- bake the apples in the air fryer at 180C/360F for 10 to 15 minutes or fork tender.
- to make microwave apple slices, you will need a microwave-safe dish.
- you can slice the apples into the microwave dish directly for easy clean up
- add the spices, melted butter, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry and sugar to the apples
- microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes stirring once halfway through the cooking time. handle the bowl with care as it would be hot. serve immediately.
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.