Once you learn how to make air fryer baked potatoes (jacket potatoes), there will be no going back. Who knows, you might find yourself making it every week as I do. These baked potatoes are tender and fluffy on the inside with the right amount of crispiness on the outside. Let me show you how to make it in 2 easy steps.
Air fryer potatoes
Are you new to air fryer and still wondering what to cook in it, well apart from frozen foods the first thing you want to cook are potatoes.
In my opinion, I believe it would help you know how your air fryer works especially with timing. The type of potato dish you cook will determine the timing and temperature to use. For example, baby potatoes would cook at a shorter time than large baking potatoes.
For a quick reference, baked potatoes is known as jacket potatoes here in the UK.
Why you need to make this recipe
It is super affordable
A great weeknight dinner the whole family would love. My family enjoys baked potatoes with baked beans and air fryer sausages for dinner and sometimes with sausage curry and leafy salad.
It is quicker and much easier than if you made them in the conventional oven and I think it tastes better too.
You will need the following to make this recipe
Baking potatoes: I love using Marabel potatoes. Other good baking potatoes include Maris piper or russets.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer
Honestly, you don’t always need to preheat your air fryer for this recipe. I personally do this because I would preheat a conventional oven if making the same dish. However, some recipes do require that you preheat the air fryer.
How to make baked potatoes in an air fryer
Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 5 minutes
Wash and clean the potatoes so it is debris free. Pat it dry with a kitchen towel or paper and pierce it a few times with a fork (I don't always do this)
Place the potatoes in an air fryer. Depending on the size and shape of your air fryer, you may only be able to fit 3 to 4 large potatoes at a time.
Brush oil on the potatoes and season with salt, flip and repeat the seasoning process
Cook the potatoes for 40-50 minutes at 195C/395F flipping it halfway or every 15 minutes so that it cooks evenly
Remove the potatoes with a kitchen thong to the plate. Cut it open with a knife, fluff with a fork, season with salt and black pepper and slather some butter. Serve and enjoy!
How to serve baked potatoes
Are you wondering what to eat with baked potatoes. You can make it a complete meal and customising it to your dietary need. Baked potatoes are mostly served as lunch but it is a different ball game at mine, we eat it as dinner and I am sure we are not alone on this
Here are few inspirations for serving it. You can serve it with the good old butter, salt and pepper and sour cream
Hummus or pesto
Instant pot Chili or chili con carne as we call it here in the UK
Air fryer sausages cooked in baked beans
Shredded cheese of choice
all the above can be served with this easy cucumber salad or any other leafy salad
- Make sure the potatoes are equal sizes, that way they’ll cook at the same time
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer or let the potatoes overlap when making this recipe. This will allow even cooking and air circulation.
- The size of the potato will determine how long to cook for, so adjust cooking time to suit your needs. If cooking baby potatoes, start checking from 15 minutes.
Can I microwave the potatoes first
Absolutely, yes, you can microwave the potatoes first before air fryer it to safe time. make sure to pierce the potatoes a few times before you microwave them to avoid explosion.
Air fryer baked potato time (jacket potatoes)
The time for air frying potatoes really depends on the size of your potatoes. For smaller potatoes, we would recommend air frying at 195C/395F for 30-35 minutes. For larger potatoes, air fryer for 45-60minutes.
Can I wrap the potatoes in foil before air frying
You can definitely wrap your potatoes in foil before air frying. This will help the potatoes to cook more evenly and will prevent them from burning or crisping up.
More air fryer recipes
If you made this easy air fryer baked potato recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback and rate it 5 stars. Tag me @thedinnerbite on Instagram and save away to your Pinterest. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer
- 4 large potatoes: I love Marabou potatoes other good baking potatoes include Maris piper or russets.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Preheat the air fryer at 200C/400F for 5 minutes
- Wash and clean the potatoes so it is debris free. Pat it dry with a kitchen towel or paper and pierce a few times with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in an air fryer. Depending on the size and shape of your air fryer, you may only be able to fit 3 to 4 large potatoes at a time.
- Brush oil on the potatoes and season with salt, flip and repeat the seasoning process
- Cook the potatoes for 50 minutes at 195C/395F flipping it halfway or every 15 minutes so that it cooks evenly
- Remove the potatoes with a kitchen thong to the plate. Cut it open with a knife, fluff with a fork, season with salt and black pepper and slather with some butter. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional data: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients and brands you use. Under no circumstances will thedinnerbite.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.